Unable to access my files on my WD My Passport

Closed
Vx4785 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday March 8, 2018 Status Member Last seen August 30, 2018 - Aug 30, 2018 at 02:06 AM
PNyiam Posts 21 Registration date Tuesday July 17, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 5, 2018 - Aug 31, 2018 at 04:23 AM
Hello,
My external hard drive shows up in My Computer but that's it. When I click on it to access my files, it won't open. I tried using Windows File Explorer and got the following message:

E:\ is not accessible
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I checked the drive in Disk Management and it says that it's healthy. I also tried using a data recovery software but it didn't work.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? What other options do I have to recover my data?
Related:

2 responses

PNyiam Posts 21 Registration date Tuesday July 17, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 5, 2018
Aug 30, 2018 at 03:21 AM
Hi,

I have a WD as well and have had a couple issues. You may have looked through this already but I have attached the WD troubleshooting walkthrough for drive visibility and connection. At least if you follow these steps and don't manage to fix the problem you will have a clear representation of the steps you have already taken.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6226

Hope it helps.
Vx4785 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday March 8, 2018 Status Member Last seen August 30, 2018 1
Updated on Aug 30, 2018 at 05:41 PM
I tried it and got the following results:

Quick Test: Went nowhere after three bars
Extended Test: Too many bad sectors

I've also tried accessing it with Linux but no luck. I guess that I'll have to got a data recovery center to my files.
PNyiam Posts 21 Registration date Tuesday July 17, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 5, 2018
Aug 31, 2018 at 04:23 AM
It might be worth asking a question directly to WD in case they know of any specific issues that the can address first. You can share the results from the diagnostics you mentioned above and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask them if they have any discount options available for data recovery if you have to go down that route.

Link to WD ask a question: https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Sorry couldn't be more helpful on this...gets a bit more difficult when it could be a hardware issue.