New Facebook user, account disabled w/no reason

Closed
Petrichor - Oct 26, 2018 at 05:58 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 27, 2018 at 04:53 PM
TLDR: Never used Facebook before, made an account, had it disabled soon after doing essentially nothing with it, what do I do?

Hello,

Sorry for the wall of text, I looked around the net for people with similar situations to mine to see if someone helped them find a solution and almost every time people reamed them for not giving enough info about what they were doing etc. so I decided to write up literally everything I did, because the account was new, and I had not done much with it yet.

I am a college student, who has never used Facebook before, and simply never felt the need to, as I could contact my friends through other means.

However, my college is very active on Facebook, with many groups in which students help each other with their studies, plan events, etc.

So I have made an account, joined one such Facebook group, posted a few posts in the group, searched up the profiles of some friends from high school, had one of my friends add me, and left it at that.

A few days of doing nothing with the account later, I decided to contact said friend via Facebook to learn a bit about how it works.

I tried logging in from my phone, but either forgot the password, or typed it wrong it when I signed up, so I requested a reset to my email.

Reset went without a hitch, made a new password, sent two messages to friend, closed Facebook.

Except the next time I tried to log in, it told me my activity was suspicious and to add a phone number to protect my account.

All right, annoyed by that since I didn't really want it linked to my phone number but whatever, it wouldn't let me log in otherwise, so I added the number, got the confirmation code, typed it in, and done right?

Nope, turns out I am so suspicious that they also need me to take a photo of myself and upload it to verify that it really is me, it'll compare it to the photos of myself on my account to verify my identity, or so it says.

Except I hadn't uploaded any photos to the account yet, not even a profile picture, since I was too lazy to do so.

Annoyed and wondering what they are planning to do with the photo when there is literally nothing to compare it to, I nonetheless complied and uploaded a photo of myself.

I try to see if there is a way to login without having to wait for who knows how long it takes to verify the photo, and eventually I click through to an option to remove the mobile phone number I added before.

Since I didn't want it linked to my phone I of course did so.

A day or two of waiting for the photo verification, and suddenly my account is disabled.

No reason given.

So, what do I do now? Just create a new account? There's nothing interesting on this one anyway.

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 26, 2018 at 06:21 PM
Hi

Interesting story!

NO do not create a new account, it will make things much worst, i fact all of the accounts you may create will be disabled and you would be forever be banned from Facebook.

What is the message you get when you try to login your account?

Regards
It says:

Your account has been disabled

For more information, or if you think your account has been disabled by mistake, please visit the Help Center.

Download your information

I used the Download your information button, which just gave me a file with all the data on what I had done on Facebook(a small file, since I had it so shortly).

Which is kinda strange, if they have done this out of security concerns right?
I mean had my account actually been taken over by someone as they seemed to insinuate from their "suspicious activity" verifications, this would allow the one who broke into it access to all of my info.

Oh and also I didn't get any emails saying that I got blocked or stuff like that, I simply get the "Your account has been disabled" message when I log in to Facebook.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > Petrichor
Oct 27, 2018 at 04:20 AM
Facebook disables accounts when users don't follow the Facebook’s Terms of Use and Community Standards.

Some examples include:
• Posting content that doesn't follow the Facebook Terms of Use
• Using a fake name or not using your full real name.
• Creating two personal accounts.
• Impersonating someone
• Continuing behaviour that's not allowed on Facebook by violating the Community Standards

Read Facebook’s terms and Community Standards Read Facebook terms and Community Standards fully and carefully..
https://www.facebook.com/terms.php
https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards

If you think that your account was disabled by mistake, you can appeal Facebook's decision, in your appeal, you must prove that Facebook made a mistake.
Petrichor > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:03 AM
I have read those, and simply hadn't broken them.

How do I even appeal that? There's like 20 different forms for appealing with various reasons for the account being disabled, but I have no idea why it was disabled, so which one should I use?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > Petrichor
Oct 27, 2018 at 04:53 PM