With a new design and a dark mode option, the web version of Facebook is keeping with the times and getting a facelift too! Even though it's not yet official, some lucky users can already activate this new interface. In this article, we'll show you how to do just that.
Announced a few months ago, Facebook is modifying its interface to make it more elegant, easier to navigate and more modern with a new design organised in blocks, inspired by the mobile app.
Still being rolled out internationally, this new interface is already available to some users but is not automatically activated by default and Facebook has not yet officially presented it. In the meantime though, you can already choose to swap your account to the new Facebook version and test it out. It is worth noting that the new interface is not activated by default and you will have to manually update your Facebook account to enjoy it.
How to activate the new interface in Facebook?
- Open Facebook with your web browser and login to your account if it doesn’t open automatically. In the blue bar at the top of the page, click on the downward facing arrow.
- From the drop down menu, select Change to the New Facebook located between settings and Log Out.
- Once this is done, an information window like the one below appears. Click on Next.
- In the next window, you will get a choice between the classic Light or the new Dark version. Select which you prefer and confirm by clicking Start.
How to use the new interface?
You will notice that the basic actions and functions of this new design remain practically the same as the old interface, but with some obvious aesthetic changes, inspired by the mobile app. You will now find the search box in the top left corner and located to the right, the buttons to access your profile, send messages, view notifications and configure your account. There are 5 large sections in the centre: your homepage newsfeed, Facebook Watch, Facebook MarketPlace, Groups and finally Facebook Gaming.
Depending on the section you’re in, the interface shortcuts displayed on the left will vary slightly. When you’re on the homepage, you will be able to access groups, events, memories etc via the shortcuts column on the left. When in Facebook Watch or Marketplace, the left side column will allow you to perform searches, display suggestions etc. When on the homepage, the column on the right will be reserved for events in the calendar and your list of contacts (this column is inaccessible from other pages). Finally, on the homepage, you will find your newsfeed filled with up to date news from friends and pages you follow, with Facebook stories located directly above.
How to change modes?
If you didn’t opt to try the dark mode when setting up the new Facebook interface or you would prefer to swap back to the light mode again, follow these steps:
- In the top bar, click on the downward pointing arrow
- Slide the Dark Mode switch to on or slide it off to return to Light Mode.
How to return to the old interface?
Not convinced by the new design? It’s possible to quickly return back to the old interface, at least for the now.
- In the overhead bar, click on the downward pointing arrow
- In the drop down menu, click on Return to the Classic version of Facebook.