Why does magicjack turn itself off after time

Closed
minkster - Jun 12, 2009 at 08:01 PM
 gregphc - May 9, 2010 at 06:40 PM
Hello,
Magicjack turns itself off a few times a day, I have my computer to not go to sleep and not to hibernate, also HWMonitor closes also, witch i have running to check my temps. can you help me? thank you Mike
Related:

3 responses

frustrt Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday May 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 13, 2009
Jun 13, 2009 at 07:39 AM
hi,

check you power saving settings.

right-click on your desktop, select properties and then screen saver.

then click on power under minotor power.

or the device may be faulty, get it replaced.
Thank you for your help, tryed all that still had same problem found out it was my wireless mouse and keyboard , switched to a wired and no more problem. Thanks again Mike
Had the same problem with my MJ when i used it with an regular handset with call id built in and so on, the MJ draws a certain amount of current available at the USB its hooked into, for most comps its somewhere around 500ma as the max power at the USB, and the pc usually sets it at somewhere around 100ma or less, however the phone draws current as well your pc sees this draw and wants to turn the device off to preserve power, this is very clear on some pc's as it results in horrible call quality as the available power is spread thin over the MJ and the phone hooked to it corded or cordless. It's also very pronounced on portables esp netbooks. Solution: buy a reputable self powered USB hub some are cheap at under $20 all the way up to $50 or so. Besides the constant stream of power that doesn't have to come from your pc, even though it must be plugged into the wall socket via an adapter, the extra USB ports have come in handy and the power is more consistent and I can use it to charge several devices at one time with great results. The best one for my situation was the Dr. Bott t7hub that has a few addt'l ports and features lots of milliamps with each port truly capable of 500ma thanks to its high amp adapter. They are orderable online or somewhat avail at apple stores if you call around price $42-$50 either with tax or shipping depending on where you live, i bought mine at an apple store as i did not want to wait for it to ship. If you think $45 sounds pricey, add up how much the regular no frills landline phone service costs for a year.