YouTube - Simple search needed

Closed
gpk111 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen June 14, 2019 - Updated on Jun 14, 2019 at 09:17 AM
gpk111 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen June 14, 2019 - Jun 14, 2019 at 10:19 AM
It is cumbersome to sign in to YouTube, so I would like to offer a search capability for a specific YouTube channel without signing in. It looks like that's currently available, even though most instructional videos assume a sign in is necessary. I also believe it's os (ios/android) independent and mobile independent, since the search box is on the YouTube site. It's complicated for the novice user, however.

Ideally I would like to offer a simple platform independent landing page which simply allows a user to enter a search term which will translate to entering into the search box on that specific YouTube channel. That web page could then also feature news about the channel or notifications about new videos.

Ultimately, the search term could be expanded to include comments.

I'm thinking this is a common request:
Dumb down the YouTube search function for novices and add a little context for the channel without being restrained by YouTube formatting and extraneous technical confusers.
Related:

4 responses

It took me one click to get to youtube, one click to click on search bar, typed in "BAD axe throwing" and hit enter. I was presented with all of the axe throwing failures I could have ever wanted. what was tough about that?

Go for it!

https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/

Have fun! Become a zillionaire!

gpk111 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen June 14, 2019
Jun 14, 2019 at 09:25 AM
WOW! You nailed it in 30 seconds!!!

I am the owner of the channel, but have not coded anything since college several decades ago.

Idea of learning curve or how much trouble/cost to have an experienced API coder do this on a budget assuming I provide simple specs??
I just built a search API using their widget:

GET https://www.googleapis.com/youtube/v3/search?part=snippet&q=cold+water&key=%5BYOUR_API_KEY%5D HTTP/1.1

Authorization: Bearer [YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN]
Accept: application/json

This allows for a search of all videos with keyword "Cold Water" (Shout out to JivTurkey)!

Now you just have to enroll into Developer, get your own key, and start bouncing Javascript compiled web request from your own host!

I estimate about Zero cost, and about 4 hours of coding time! If you need a wire frame, let me know!

Have fun!

gpk111 Posts 4 Registration date Friday June 14, 2019 Status Member Last seen June 14, 2019
Jun 14, 2019 at 09:48 AM
Thanks for enlightening me about how much I don't know about API coding. To me, the most meaningful part of your note was the signature block with the Disney quote ! :)

Would you care to revise your coding time estimate? :)

Just to clarify, this is a search WITHIN a channel. The channel consists of about 600 videos done by a reputable MD in plain English. Lots of science-based details about circulatory diseases and diet (probably affects half the population).

Not for profit. Not selling anything. Just want to get information out there to casual users, rather than letting the info remain below the surface and get stale. Users are often more concerned about their health than technology.

Just providing some context just in case it matters.
Blocked Profile
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM
The scope seems simple enough. It is a good idea. If you had to purchase the coding time, it would be about a 20-30 hour project, at $150(US) an hour. Because it is a simple API call, a reputable code house should be able to do it in less than that!
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:19 AM
Thanks. Helpful!