WIFI antenna / metal roof puzzle

Closed
TNjazzgal Posts 1 Registration date Monday May 3, 2021 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2021 - Updated on May 3, 2021 at 06:08 PM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - May 4, 2021 at 04:06 AM
Greetings,
Been struggling with this for over a year, with different antennas/adapters. Need to pick up neighbor's wifi (2.4) directly across street, close range (400 to 500 ft) for my laptop, but suspect major interference from my metal roof. Also suspect her signal is weak or partially blocked.
Signal is in & out constantly, out for long periods, weak when it's in, and worse when rainy or foggy (I can usually pick her up better with my cell, but can only use it outside due to metal roof). Currently have 25 dbi yagi antenna with low loss cable hooked into brand new highly rated USB adapter. On rare occasions I have lightning fast connection. Have tried moving antenna around, & the further from roof I get the better it is. But cable doesn't allow the distance I need, and cable can't be longer or signal will degrade. Plus I don't want this heavy cable/antenna in the middle of my yard. How can I work around this? Does antenna need to be close to neighbor's house, with repeater or booster between her and me? How best to configure this?
Btw, I want to keep a wired-only setup between antenna and laptop if at all possible.
Huge thx for any tips!
Related:

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
May 4, 2021 at 04:06 AM
Hello, Wi-Fi signals are not really that strong. Indoors a 2.4GHz band signal can reach up to 150 feet (46m) indoors and 300 feet (92m) outdoors. So your distance of 400-500 feet (120-150m) is a lot.

The antenna would need to be half way between for you to both have an OK WiFi signal. It won't be ideal, as the optimal position for your neighbour is above their home and for you above yours.

You can put a booster/repeater in between to try and get the signal to spread as far as possible, however as I said above, the distance between your homes is far from optimal and is why the signal isn't too good.

There isn't really much that you can do beyond what you've suggested to improve the signal.

Regards