Deleting chats from linked devices

Closed
Jul - Oct 31, 2022 at 08:45 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 - Nov 1, 2022 at 04:58 PM

Hello, Up until last Friday I could delete a chat from one device it would remain on my linked device. Now however when I delete from any devices, the chat is removed from all linked devices. Can I stop this? Thanks. 

Macintosh / Chrome 106.0.0.0

Related:

5 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 1,891
Oct 31, 2022 at 10:45 AM

Hi,

It's a new feature that was released first on WhatsApp Beta.

If you delete a chat, it will only be deleted from the device that you're currently using. From now, it will be deleted from all linked devices as well.

If you'd like to continue to be able to delete chats only on a specific device, try downgrading your WhatsApp app to the previous version - it seems that you need to use the latest version of the app for the feature to work.

Hi. I thought that might be the case. Couldnt find anything online saying it was though. Thanks. Next question......How do I downgrade to the previous version?  ????  I'm not very tech savvy ???? Thanks for any advice you can give.

HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 1,891
Oct 31, 2022 at 04:59 PM

These instructions apply to your phone (Android).

First of all, you need to allow installation from unknown sources to be able to install a previous version. To do so, go to your Settings > Security > Unknown sources - or - Apps > Special app access > Install unknown apps, then allow your Web browser.

Back up your WhatsApp chats by going to Settings > Chats > Chat backup > Back up. After your backup is successfully completed, uninstall WhatsApp.

Next, go to APKMirror and select an earlier version of WhatsApp from a few weeks ago. Don't select the "beta" versions. If you see a version with variants, prefer selecting a universal version (without the "x variants" note) because it isn't specific to the device's specs.

After it is downloaded, install the APK file. Then, open the WhatsApp app to activate your phone number and restore your last backup. 

If the version you selected is working as before the update, disable installation from unknown sources by performing the same method as to enable it.

Good luck

Thanks so much for this. Really appreciated. I'm really sorry though, but its an iPhone I use. I presume it will be a similar process? I dont want you to type it all out again though ???? Any link you could post that I could follow? Thanks so much.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Nov 1, 2022 at 04:58 PM

You're welcome!

The method on iPhone is different and you need to use your PC.

I found this video which explains all the process in detail.

For iTunes, download the 12.6.4 version, because it supports the App Store. You can find the download links in this article, in "How to download an app from iTunes?".

Good luck