Why is Whatsapp requiring a new app version be downloaded?

euchrette Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday September 11, 2024 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2024 - Sep 11, 2024 at 08:31 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14444 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen October 3, 2024 - Sep 12, 2024 at 05:09 AM

The Whatsapp on my Macbook is greyed and labeled (old).  It is requiring me to download a new app.  This requires a QR code using my phone, but the app for QR is requiring a new app.  I just saw a social media post regarding QR codes that after scanned infect your phone and infiltrate your accounts.  I then researched this post and found that their have been FBI warnings regarding QR codes and one was requiring to go through an updated app.  I love using Whatsapp, but I when I go onto their website to ask a question, I get an error code that something went wrong, try again later.  When I try again later, it still happens.  My questions:

1. Is this a legitimate app version update?

2.  Can I update app without the QR code?

3.  Can I archive my "old app"?  (So many pics and videos I continue to revisit.)

Thank you

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14444 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen October 3, 2024 1,861
Sep 12, 2024 at 05:09 AM

Hi,

You should be cautious. If a new version is available, it should be available to you directly without needed to scan a QR code with your phone.

To find out if WhatsApp is up to date, go to the App Store to check for available updates. Alternatively, visit the official WhatsApp website to download the latest version.

If the current app is blocked on your Mac, uninstall it and redownload it again. To avoid losing your recent discussions, first open WhatsApp on your phone and go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup to back up your data.

Good luck