Keyboard does not work at login

Closed
mrock Posts 2 Registration date Sunday July 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2009 - Jul 27, 2009 at 04:27 PM
mrock Posts 2 Registration date Sunday July 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2009 - Jul 27, 2009 at 06:43 PM
Hello,

My keyboard does not work at the windows login screen. The mouse DOES work. I restarted in safe mode and also in last know good configuration and it still does not work at login. The keyboard works to get around the cpu menu and on other computers. I brought an old computer out of retirement and downloaded service pack 2. After the installation restart this happened.
Related:

1 response

The Bifrost Virus has been known to cause this kind of problem, If you have a XP disk; Boot the computer from the disk and select "R" (repair) at the first screen, then when the recovery console starts select the number of the listed windows installation and enter when the administrators password is requested (will only work if the administrators password is blank or you know what it is)

type "chkdsk c: /p" and enter
when the check is finished type "exit" to restart the pc. (hopefully that curred problem, if it did then run antimallware / antivirus)

if that is not the problem then you could have damaged OS and needs a repair reinstallation or clean install.
Ohter possible causes are faulty memory or harddrive.
mrock Posts 2 Registration date Sunday July 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2009
Jul 27, 2009 at 06:43 PM
this machine was rebuilt about a year ago and never connected to the net until today. I would think it unlikely that I have a virus since I only connected to the net for windows update and shut down immediately after the update was done. I will have to look for an xp disk and replace the memory since I can manage that for the time being.