Power on issues Dell 5150

Closed
Stevo - Sep 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM
 Stevo - Sep 10, 2009 at 08:25 AM
Hello,
I have a Dell 5150 lap and the customer brought it in saying there was no sound. As we were installing the drivers, the battery died. Then we noticed the lap ONLY running off of the battery and NOT the power cord. I remember the customer saying something about "If you wiggle the cord, when you get the "This is the wrong power cord and it will operate at decreased efficiancy" error message", the box will go away. Yeah, the error goes away however when the charging status is checked, it says the battery will not charge....Ok, so we replaced 3 power receptacles and get the same issue. Wont power off of the cord but WILL off of the battery. Of course we tried 3 different RIGHT power cords. We're stumped. The power cord gets a signal TO the MoBo and the operating system but will NOT charge the battery. The lap WILL power and boot off of the battery with no issues. Is this board just toast or is there an issue that someone knows about?
Thanx for any support, Steve
Related:

2 responses

dancedhall Posts 3056 Registration date Wednesday May 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 12, 2010 656
Sep 10, 2009 at 08:15 AM
There might be different grounds for this particular problem. It might be the consequence of defective hardware and I will concretely advise you to get it to a good technician for identifying the root of the problem.
Lol, we are good tech's. We repair most, and havent found many that have stumped us. Thanks for your reply