Preventive maint. re: dv6140us...which BIOS ?

Closed
Non-Geek Here :) - Sep 26, 2009 at 04:41 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 26, 2009 at 06:51 PM
Hello,

I have a dv6140us Pavilion notebook XP MEdia Center Edition. AMD supposed to be 64 bit but the techs all kept telling me that it wasn't for some reason <?> when I updated to Vista so I backtracked to XP and that's been working ok, and I didn't like Vista anyway.. The notebook runs hot the core temps run over 80 degrees C sometimes (according to the Speedfan monitor)and that's about all I know about it.
When I had my motherboard and HD replaced under warranty (squeaked under the line and badgered them into it) they also replaced my heat shield and seemed to be horrified at its condition.
That gave me pause.

Don't understand the why's like you guys, but the chronic heatup bothers me. that drives need updating? HP's update software truly sucks and generally won't run right so I go directly to the site andcross my fingers I don'tscerw something up.
I read updating BIOS would help, currently have F41 version BIOS. I understand that that version keeps the fan on all the time so improves cooling....and wondered if it was even necessary to update to F42 version (if that's the right one?) since it didn't mention cooling as an inssue in the update.

When I went to HP to update I couldn't figure out if the F42 was proper update for BIOS or not. Also looked at driver updates for Nvidea graphics (they seem to have overheating issues ) but again, not smart enough to know how. ARGHHhh....How is the average (non-wealthy) NON-geek supposed to know what to do? Are the driver update programs like BIOSAGENTPLUS (which Phoenix guides you to instead of offering any easy to understand driver update support) WORTH the $40 or so?

After reading all the crap about HP notebook failures I am chewing my nails worrying that my laptop will soon be reduced to a paperweight.....

ADDED NOTE:
BTW, they replaced my motherboard, HD and Heatshield because I had a hacker/virus no one couldn't get rid of (verified by Microsoft techs) that apparently had jumped into the BIOS ( don't ask me......) I just saw my computer chronically being slaved to another computer somewhere in Asia, it appeared...over, and over after reformatting a gazillion times...So they gave me nice new innnards. :)

I WILL tell anyone who is listening that the last tech I talked to ..a very nice guy...said that the OD warranty I had would have allowed for replacement of the whole notebook if i had "just accidentally spilled coffee down into my computer.....") I should have been more careless <G>

So BUY the RIGHT warranty ( I had a 2-year extended with Office Depot) LISTEN UP if you are planning to buy ;) warranties can be worth the extra hundred bucks or so if you get a lemon.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 26, 2009 at 06:51 PM
I would not risk updating to the F42 BIOS. What I would do is buy one of those laptop coolers that have a few fans that blow air on the underside of the laptop. That might drop the temps a few degrees.

Good Luck