I have a blank screen

Closed
hal492 - Sep 28, 2009 at 06:04 PM
 hal492 - Sep 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM
Hello,
when i logged on into my computer i only see my wallpaper and no icons or either the taskbar...................... i know that my computer has a virus an d im trying to maintain it but other problems keep on occuring........ and when a try safe mode the same thing happen i am only seeing my wallpaper and no icons or taskbar................... please help me im out of options and i go crazy and smash my computer and cry..............

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Sep 28, 2009 at 06:12 PM
First thing is to try the following:

A program called explorer.exe controls the display of your taskbar and desktop icons. If for some reason it goes missing (you may have killed it using Task Manager, for example, or something more sinister like a virus has deleted it from your processes), then try this first:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
3. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

If nothing sinister caused it to disappear, it should all come back as it was and you can stop panicking, breathe a sigh of relief, and continue working.

If that doesn’t work, then try this:

1. Open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager).
2. Go to the Processes tab.
3. Click on the Image Name column header to sort the list alphabetically.
4. Find all explorer.exe processes — select each, then click End Process for each one.
5. On the Applications tab, click New Task at the bottom right of the window.
6. Type explorer.exe, then click OK.

If you get task manager back - then run your antivirus program to clean them out.
Then download Malwarebytes anti-malware program from this address:
https://download.cnet.com/malwarebytes-anti-malware/windows.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Then click Finish. MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program
before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

On the Scanner tab:
Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected. Then click on the Scan button.
The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected
and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the
top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient. When the scan is finished, a message
box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process. Back at the main Scanner
screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found. Make sure
that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. When removal is completed, a log report
will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below) The log
is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Good Luck
hello,
when ityped in explorer.exe in task manager and click ok i got a message saying i got to type in the words correctly which i did but it is still giving me that error. and also i looked at the apllication and i want to know what exactly im i looking for?.......