Wifi blues

Closed
Whitney - Oct 5, 2009 at 09:52 PM
 Whitney - Oct 6, 2009 at 08:46 AM
Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop, it's going on it's fourth year of life. Recently I moved into an apartment at school. We have Road Runner. We were having problems with it since the day the put it in. My housemates with Mac's couldn't connect at all, one of my friends computers, a more recent Dell wasn't recognizing the network at all, everyone else could connect but our download speed was about the same as dial-up. So we called and they came and fixed it. Now all of my five housemates can connect and the speed is really good. However, my computer will not connect to it anymore. When I open Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility to connect there is a red X through my network and when I open the screen to view the available network connections it is empty and says "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage wireless connection, use that software..." BUT my neighbors do not have a password on their network and I can sometimes get enough signal from theirs to connect to it. I have no idea what could be causing this. I'm assuming that since all of my housemates can connect and use our network just fine that is my computer, not the network. I would just continue using the neighbors network, but being so far away from the source the coverage in my house is spotty and the signal is weak. Any suggestions (other than "Should've got a Mac -- that's what all my friends keep telling me)?

1 response

Blocked Profile
Oct 6, 2009 at 05:01 AM
Dear Sir,

Ask the neighbors to reset the connection and it should work.

I will also be advising you to go through this tips review:

Unable to run wireless connection

Thanks
Well I don't personally know the neighbors and they don't know I'm using their internet. Plus their resetting it won't change anything, their router is just too far from my computer to get a good signal. Plus since I'm paying for internet in my house I'd like to be able to use it.