Tried installing XP on hp dv6, MAJOR ERROR

Closed
yamadjs08 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday October 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 25, 2009 - Oct 25, 2009 at 05:19 PM
 DJ - Jan 5, 2010 at 06:05 PM
Hello,
I recently tried installing windows xp onto my hp dv6 laptop and it failed to install. So I figured I would just reinstall Vista and now when trying to install either it comes up with this message. "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
Press r for repair at the next start up" or something like that.

I have no idea what to do, I deleted the old partitions, tried XP, so its half installed but it had an error and I had to restart and now I get this. I'm just trying to get the OEM vista to work but even that gets the same message now.

PLEASE HELP!
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Oct 25, 2009 at 05:54 PM
I would clean off the hard disk using KillDisk. That should allow you to reinstall Vista (if you have a bootable copy of Vista).

http://www.killdisk.com/killdisk-home.htm

Good Luck
Thanks for the help! I got the disk cleared the way you recommended. But now when I try and put Vista on the laptop it just says "No Operating System Found" or something. It's like the BIOS boot menu doesn't work. I tried booting from CD and from a flash drive and it just keeps saying this over and over. Any help from here would be awesome? I have tried to different Vista CD's, an XP disc and tried both of them on a flash drive, its like the laptop wont boot anything other than the HD.
hey there dude.. i've fixed a good few laptops that have had the same prob as you, um once everythings whiped off the HDD meaning there are now no more partitions for the disk to pickup to install Vista/7 onto the HDD so you have to create a new partition ether with USB Boot or a dr.dos app on flash to create an empty NTFS partition and saving it b4 trying to install Vista/7 onto it :) i hope this helps.. if you need further help please dont hesitate to e-mail me, thanks :)
DJ > Lightband
Jan 5, 2010 at 06:05 PM
Okay I will try a USB boot, but I don't have much hope. I couldn't get Vista or anything to boot from USB so I don't think anything at all will boot from USB. Is their anyway to partition a harddrive without having it installed?