Referencing cells in Excel with functions

Closed
P - Feb 10, 2010 at 03:16 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Feb 10, 2010 at 05:23 PM
Hello

I am trying to write my own Lottery Program in Excel. On the first worksheet I have all of the numbers (1 through 59) in a column and to the left is the number of times each of those numbers has appeared in a draw. Of course, as the lottery continues into the future, the frequency of any given number will increase by ONE.

I have two Excel worksheets in one workbook. On the first worksheet I have the numbers 1 through 59 in a single column and the total frequency to the left. To the right column is the Powerball number and its corresponding total frequency.

On the second worksheet, I have various summary data, but also a row of six cells where I can enter the latest drawn numbers: Five White Balls and One Red Powerball.

After entering the latest numbers, I want it to FIND its corresponding cell on the first worksheet, update the FREQUENCY in the column to the left, and the same for the POWER BALL in the column to the right.

So if the latest numbers are 14 22 45 52 59 powerball 32 I want each of those specific numbers to increase the Frequency on the first worksheet by ONE without disturbing any of the other numbers.

How do I find a specific number and then increase the data in another column by one???

I have looked at several functions i.e. MATCH, IF THEN, etc.
Related:

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Feb 10, 2010 at 05:23 PM
Have you looked at lookup function. I think you need to go to macro route instead of using functions on excel as you would be able to increment the freq as a static value. Using function would make it dynamic and would not the "sticky" value