Cant open any pc application without an 'open

Closed
suzi1808 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 11, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2010 - Mar 11, 2010 at 02:37 PM
suzi1808 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 11, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2010 - Mar 11, 2010 at 04:33 PM
Hello,
im having trouble opening any application on my pc. when i try to open an application a box saying 'open with..'. this includes internet and anything in the start box.

please help me, as you can most prob see, im not completely computer savvy!!!
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 11, 2010 at 04:06 PM
Dear Suzi,

It might be that you don't have the required application to open the program. Please indicate clearly what application you are trying to open for the correct solution.

Thanks in advance.
suzi1808 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 11, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2010
Mar 11, 2010 at 04:33 PM
Well my computer has been working fine until recently. I had avg free antivirus trial which expired recently and I tried to remove and re-install but had no joy.

I then went on to add mcafee which said it couldn't install due to a norton product still being on my computer. I then had to install a symantec remover tool to take the remains of norton from my computer.

Once I had done that I was able to install mcafee. But ever since then my computer has been very odd.

I am using vista and since the whole antivirus malarky each and every application will not open without a 'open with' box opening up. For example, if I want to access the internet, I click on mozilla/internet explorer and a box appears asking with what I will want to open with. Although this seems pretty much straight forward, when choosing programs from the start box, it does the same. For example, I was going to backup and restore but lo and behold it asks 'open with..'. not so straight forward then.

Since the whole antivirus malarky, I have also noticed that my tool bar has changed, msn has been removed and I cannot link my printer up. ..... so im pretty much having loads of problems.

Hope to hear from you.