Increase connection and download speeds

Solved/Closed
Flip - Oct 10, 2008 at 12:09 PM
 manna - Nov 8, 2009 at 02:56 AM
Hello,
I just tested my connection and download speeds and they are functioning at 2% of what they should be. I have a cable modem with windows vista. My connection speed is .8 Mbps and my download speed is 33kB/s. How can I optimize these speeds? I am connected via wireless to my network with a brand new laptop.
Thank you!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,830
Oct 10, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Can you connect via a wire and test speeds again? Assuming a wired test shows normal speeds you can blame the wireless connection. Can you test with another laptop? If it worked OK with another PC then it would be a problem with your new laptop.

Most wireless cards have a software option that will display quality of signal and stats on packets sent/received and errors.
check this display it might indicate a marginal signal and or interference causing poor thru-put.

Wireless signals can be wacked by some wireless phones (2.4 Ghz band) and even your neighbors wireless base-station.
You could try to change the channel on the wireless transmitter. (it must be done from a wired connection to wireless router. You will need to logon to the router and supply the "admin" password.

the wireless router might also work better if it's not sitting on top of your desktop tower. Get it as far away from your other computers and TVs.

If none of these suggestions help - you have cause to call customer support.
I dont think being on a wireless or wired makes any difference. wireless speed ranges between 40 to 50 MB/s. you factor in wireless speeds Vs wired if you are streaming video from one PC to another over your network.
pako_simoni > Mike Tyrell
Mar 5, 2009 at 02:21 PM
i am using windows xp with a usb moden but t is too slow i want to increase the internet speed
For Dail up modem speed

Download Accellrater Plus

Internet Download manager

And Speed Gear

Download This softwares With www.torrents.com