Memory, DIMM slot, or Mobo issue?

Closed
starstx - Mar 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 - Mar 31, 2010 at 07:58 AM
I think I finally found a forum that might be able ot help me. I have a computer with and MSI K9AGM motherboard and originally had 2 1GB sticks of Crucial DDR2 6400 (800Mhz) 2.0V memory sticks in it. I went and bought 2 1GB sticks of Kingston DDR2 6400 (800Mhz) 1.8V sticks and added them. I understand it wasn't a good idea to mix and match but here is my problem.

I have 4 DIMM memory slots. Oringinally the Crucial memory was in DIMM slot 1 and 2 and the computer recognized 2GB of memory. Now when I added the other two sticks of Kingston so all 4 slots are filled the computer only recognizes 1GB of memory (and after doing some troubleshooting) I discovered the only slot that works is the 4th DIMM slot. The other 3 slots do not recognize the memory and if I boot up the computer with nothing in the 4th slot the computer and fans fire up but nothing on the screen and no beeps. Even when I took all the memory out and tried to go back to my original setup that recognized 2GB of RAM it does not work anymore. I tried each individual stick in DIMM slot 4 and the computer started up with each stick which leads me to believe the memory is fine. Any other combination the computer will not boot up if there is not a stick in DIMM slot 4.

I am at a complete loss. Did my 3 other DIMM memory slots go bad? Would of been a weird coincidence. I don't know what to do and was hoping I would not have to go get a new mobo. If I could get the other slots to work I would toss the Crucial memory and go buy 2 more GB f the Kingston so they all matched and be done with it. I haven't read anything that says I could of screwed up these DIMM slots but I truly do not know. I did update my BIOS to the latest version and loaded optimized defaults.

Any help would be appreciated. At this point I can only get my computer to work with 1GB stick in the 4th slot and they all 4 sticks work individually. None of this happened until I went to change the memory to 4 1GB sticks which should at least recognize 3.0 or 3.5GB.

Ideas? Suggestions? Or screwed up mobo?

Related:

1 response

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Mar 31, 2010 at 07:58 AM
Hi there,

First of all use only one memory in one slot,start pc with it make a shutdown,then remove memory from first slot shift to second restart system ,then same process with only one memory to know of the slots are good or damaged. Then use cpuz to get the amount of maximum of ram which is supported by system,download it on link below:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4993-cpu-z/

Thanks