Black Screen

Closed
DJTank Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2010 - Apr 16, 2010 at 10:01 PM
DJTank Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2010 - Apr 17, 2010 at 06:20 PM
I'm using an Acer with Windows XP on it, over the past week I've managed to get two viruses. One of which was SecurityTool which I managed to get rid of and the other is XPSecurity. I ran Spybot and restarted my computer in order to get rid of XPSecurity. When it started back up it showed the Acer startup screen and then proceeded to go into an illuminated black screen from which I can do nothing.

Any assistance you can provide would be very appreciated.

Related:

3 responses

Maybe if you try this.....- Turn your laptop over.
- Remove the rear access panel.
- Inside you have; graphics card, fan, heatsinc etc, system ram: but most importantly, two installed cards that are about the same size. [Also maybe a small modem thing somewhere but forget that.]

One is the wireless lan card (Intel 4965).
The second is the Intel (turbo) memory controller: it has some drive application aswell, but forget that for now.
[These two cards I believe are on 'PCI' slots]

Remove the Intel memory controller card: it's not clearly marked but easy enough to decide it's not the wireless card. {No wires attached that are lead off to antennas}.

Turn your laptop back over - be carefull because you may not have replaced the rear cover. Press the power button to start the laptop. Does it work?

I hope so. Once your system is running you may try replacing the Intel card, and reinstalling the drivers 'if you need to'. It will probably all work fine.

P.S. Pure speculation but, did you by any chance try installing unidentical memory modules. The 5920 is dual channel symetrical, so maybe it upsets the memory controller. If so, I'm just guessing; I havn't googled for any insight on this.
I did however google the Intel memory controller to understand a bit about what it does. It appears unessential for a fully functioning laptop. Therefor if Intel mem controller is faulty, your still ok, It's got something to do with Readyboost and Readydrive.

Adios if it not that its something else. but if you can reboot it and press F8 key and see if you can run it in safe mode and then run the - Turn your laptop over.
- Inside you have; graphics card, fan, heatsinc etc, system ram: but most importantly, two installed cards that are about the same size. [Also maybe a small modem thing somewhere but forget that.]

The second is the Intel (turbo) memory controller: it has some drive application aswell, but forget that for now.

Remove the Intel memory controller card: it's not clearly marked but easy enough to decide it's not the wireless card. {No wires attached that are lead off to antennas}.

Turn your laptop back over - be carefull because you may not have replaced the rear cover. Press the power button to start the laptop. Does it work?

I hope so. Once your system is running you may try replacing the Intel card, and reinstalling the drivers 'if you need to'. It will probably all work fine.

P.S. Pure speculation but, did you by any chance try installing unidentical memory modules. The 5920 is dual channel symetrical, so maybe it upsets the memory controller. If so, I'm just guessing; I havn't googled for any insight on this.
I did however google the Intel memory controller to understand a bit about what it does. It appears unessential for a fully functioning laptop. Therefor if Intel mem controller is faulty, your still ok, It's got something to do with Readyboost and Readydrive.

Adios

- Turn your laptop over.

Adios- Turn your laptop over.

Adios

if you can reboot your computer and press the F8 key and go to safe mode to see if you can run it from there then run anti-Malwarebyte to remove the virus

Please download Malwarebyte.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Before installing it, just in case the virus is self protective and prevent Malwarebyte from running, rename it Kioskea.exe.

Install and update it.

I recommend a FULL system scan which also scan your system volume information

Best regards, Gervarod
DJTank Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2010
Apr 17, 2010 at 06:20 PM
Would this work with a desktop computer as well?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 17, 2010 at 05:00 PM
Do you have command prompt?
DJTank Posts 3 Registration date Friday April 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2010
Apr 17, 2010 at 06:19 PM
Nope, and can't even enter safe mode because if I hit F8 and try to it gives me a black screen full of ...windows/32/... messages that doesn't really seem to go anywhere.