ITunes error 7 (windows error 998) <<help>>

Solved/Closed
Wiseguy - Apr 18, 2010 at 08:15 PM
 bkahn - Nov 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I have windows xp and I recently had a virus and had some work done. After this I had to repair alot of my installations. However iTunes is still not working I'll install it and try to launch it but I keep getting the message iTunes was not installed properly. Please reinstall iTunes. Error 7 (windows error 998). I found an article on Apple's support website that talked about .net framework. I got the latest version and made sure all the updates were installed. I have frameworks 1, 2, and 3 and all the updates for each of them however, it still will not work. Will someone please help me.
Related:

12 responses

I got it guys! What you have to do is unistall all the parts of iTunes. These parts are iTunes, QuickTime, Bonjour, apple application support, apple mobile device support, and apple software updates. Here is the link to the apple support page that tells you how to unistall. CAUTION, I MAY HAVE LEFT SOMETHING OUT OR NAMED A WRONG PRODUCT, CHECK THE LIST ON TUE LINK TO BE CERTAIN.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925?viewlocale=en_US
xdanix Posts 2 Registration date Saturday May 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 22, 2010
May 22, 2010 at 04:22 PM
thanx dude!!!! was really worried I wasnt gonna be able to have itunes at all, then followed your post and it worked!!! I would definitely recommend this to anyone if they have the same problem. thanx again you rock! XD
thanks a lot :D

PS. I Used ccleaner to uninstall&clear registry
Everything else didn't work for me, only this.
Thank you!
Thank you so much, it did worked !!.
Loopy are you sure you uninstalled everything on the list and then downloaded and installed it again
GO TO QUICKTIME -UNINSTALL- CHOSE "REPAIR" AND NOW ERROR 7 IS HISTORY!

Itunes came right back!
what I did with quicktime was actually uninstall it then download it and install it again. worked like a charm
plus all my music was still there
Ok, I downloaded the new NetFrame like Apple said. No luck. I tried to re-install / repair itunes. No luck. Since I have no idea how to make myself an owner of a folder, I decided to check on the Quicktime and see if it worked. It did not. When I did the repair option under the uninstall, VOILA. Suddenly, Quicktime and Itunes popped up working. Again, I went to the search, found the Quicktime uninstall file, chose the Repair option and when Quicktime was fixed, so was itunes. Again, I did do the netframe redo first but I really don't think this had any thing to do with it.
Yes! This worked for me....thanks a million!!
thanx it worked for me 2
me too, thanks, I was at my witts end :P
its not working for me any other ideas?
No dice.. worth a shot.
I had the same problem and tried several of the on-line solutions - none of which worked. I tracked it down to not being the 'owner' of the folder where quicktime was installed - right click on the folder - check the owner - if it's not you 'take over' the ownership of the folder. This resolved my problem.

in reviewing some of the other 'solutions' they wanted you to uninstall all the apps and then reinstall them - this may solve the problem on other systems but did not on mine.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hey,i just solved this!!!!I was trying for about 4 dayS until I finally found the solution to the problem!Just go and download the latest quicktime version,it doesnt matter if you already have it installed on your pc,go here https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US and download it,then when you try to install it,if you already have quicktime just click repair,if you dont just install it.
Then try to open itunes,im sure the message will be gone for good,that happened to me at least,so I guess it will work for you too!
Wow that actually worked!
kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Jun 11, 2010 at 03:48 AM
Step 1. Click the "Start" button on your PC's desktop, and click "Control Panel" from the pop-up menu.

Step 2. Select the "Add or Remove Programs" link in the Control Panel window in Windows XP, or select the "Uninstall a program" link underneath the "Programs" section of the Control Panel window in Windows 7 or Vista.

Step 3. Select "iTunes" in the Add or Remove Programs window, and click the "Remove" button. Repeat this step for "Bonjour," "QuickTime" and "Apple Mobile Device" in the Add or Remove Programs window. For Windows 7 or Vista, select the program you wish to remove and click the "Uninstall" button at the top of the program window.

Step 4. Go to the Apple website (see Resources). Select the "iTunes" tab, and click the "Free Download" button.

Step 5. Enter your email address, and click the "Download Now" button. Click the "Run" button on the pop-up box, and click the "Run" button in the Security Warning window.

Step 6. Click "Next" in the iTunes & QuickTime Installer window, and follow the on-screen installation instructions to complete the reinstallation.
It works for me. Thanks a lot.
In my control panel add/remove programs thing, it doesn't have a button to remove itunes. I can remove everything else, just not iTunes.
This fix actually works. Just ensure you uninstall all Apple related programs first.
Worked like a charm...thanks!
It doesn't work for me...

Any other solution, please?

Thanks!
ensure that itunes and quicktime folders in program files both have yourself as owner of the folders. this worked for me whereas all other solutions didn't.
kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Jun 18, 2010 at 03:02 AM
Check whether iTunes works in safe mode.

STEP 1:

To boot into safe mode follow the step mentioned below.

o Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. Select safe mode from the menu.

If it works in safe mode then perform a clean boot.

STEP 2:

Clean Boot:

1. Steps to perform a Clean Boot:

o Click Start on your Desktop.

o Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue)

o On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

o Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

o Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

o Click OK.

o When you are prompted, click Restart.

To return your computer back to Normal state:

o Click Start on your Desktop

o Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

o Click the General tab.

o Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

o When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

For further details check the article mentioned below.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
How to perform a clean boot procedure to determine whether background programs are interfering with a game or a program that you currently use

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Try downloading iTunes and QuickTime separately.

STEP 3:

Make sure that you uninstall all the applications related to apple from "Add and Remove programs" and try deleting all files related to QuickTime in "C:/Windows/system32" and then reinstalling iTunes and QuickTime separately.

Follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Uninstall QuickTime and iTunes.

2. Reinstall QuickTime ONLY. Once complete make sure the program opens. If it does close program.

3. Install iTunes ONLY

To download QuickTime. Check the link mentioned below.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US

To download only iTunes. Check the link mentioned below.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

http://windows7.iyogi.net/windows-7-/itunes
Blocked Profile
Apr 19, 2010 at 04:41 AM
Dear Sir,

Please obtain the solution to the problem from the below address.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3074

Thanks in advance.
This is the article that I mentioned above that I had already tried and it did not work. Do you have any other suggestions?
....l downloaded the fist time and it entered now its telling me l cant acces it
thanks downloading quicktime solved the problem.
downloading quicktime worked for me! Thanks a bunch!