Fingerprint reader

Solved/Closed
Sam - Oct 25, 2008 at 02:23 AM
 LBca - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Hello,
I purchased an HP Pavilion dv4 two weeks ago. The Fingerprint reader was wroking properly. Suddenly
I am receiving a message that I need to connect your fingerprint reader.
Can anybody help on this issue?
Cheers
Sam
Related:

6 responses

I just got a fix from HP that worked for me. I tried all of the procedures suggested above, and they did not work. This fix consists of two simple procedures:

1. Release the 'flea' (static) power from hardware components
2. Reset the BIOS

I don't know which one fixed the problem, because I did both before rebooting. Here are the steps from HP:

Procedure 1: Release the 'flea' (static) power from hardware components
A static discharge is done to remove all the static charge that may have been stored on your notebook, as this static charge can interfere with the applications running in the processor and may cause such issues.

1. Disconnect the power cord from the Notebook.
2. Remove the battery as instructed below.
3. Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position.
4. Use your finger to grasp the notch on the bottom of the bezel and slide the battery out of the battery bay.
5. Press the Power button for 30 Seconds and release.
6. Reseat the Battery as instructed below.
7. Slide the battery into the battery bay until the battery release latch clicks.
8. Now connect the AC Adaptor, and press Power button for 5 seconds to turn the Notebook ON.
Step 2: Remove all external devices and reset BIOS to defaults :
This step would make the notebook hardware to revert back to factory specified electrical and thermal operating limits.
* Power on your notebook.
* Immediately press the F10 key on the keyboard to enter the system BIOS menu.
* Press the F9 key to reset the BIOS defaults.
* Press the F10 Key to save the changes and restart the computer

Procedure 2: Remove all external devices and reset BIOS to defaults
This step would make the notebook hardware to revert back to factory specified electrical and thermal operating limits.

* Power on your notebook.
* Immediately press the F10 key on the keyboard to enter the system BIOS menu.
* Press the F9 key to reset the BIOS defaults.
* Press the F10 Key to save the changes and restart the computer.
You may not need to do any of these steps. In my case, I was getting this message after my computer had returned from a Sleep or Hibernate state when operating on battery power.

I simply Restart the computer to reconnect the reader. Now, to keep this from occurring and avoid a Restart, I went to the Control Panel, Device Manager, Biometric Devices, Validity Sensor. In the Properties Tab, uncheck the box that says "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power." Issue resolved.
Did what captain said it now works, make sure you open control Panel, click view hardware and devices on vista, of locate your device manager in classic view, once on the device manager screen find the "personal identification devices" tab, right click Validity sensor and push uninstall and make sure delete the driver software for this device. let it uninstall your device manager will refresh, at this point press the action file command on the top , scan for hardware changes. you should see it find new hardware and start installing it again. Everything should be working at this point! :)
great it really works...
It says my driver software was updated, but it still doesn't work for me =( I wonder why...
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Oct 25, 2008 at 04:49 AM
You have free support from HP - give them a call. Just time your call so it's not 3AM in India.
thks for info.
10 to 1 it was a driver issue, as I had the same thing... The driver doesn't show a conflict, but the hardware itself refuses to work. Just go Start->Control Panel->System->Device Manager->Personal Identification Devices then right click Authentec Inc->Properties->Driver->Roll Back Driver.... That should do it for ya.
roll back driver is not highlighted to clck on Now What?
i dont seem to have >Personal Identification Devices

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
iv installed the pavilion dv4 Validity Fingerprint Sensor drivers from the HP website, nothing seems to be happening though!
had the same problem 0- suddenly the puter kept saying reader not deteceted

Go to control panel - device manager - personal id - get to drivers - click uninstall ( in the uninstall box - click delete software )
when thats done - it takles a few seconds - click the top puter icon ( in me I have ADMIN PC ) and say scan for hardware changes - VOILA it then works !!
leigh > Captain
Jul 17, 2009 at 03:05 PM
I took Captains advice and now it can't find the driver and keeps trying to get me to insert disks and reinstall. Bad idea.
shogun > Captain
Nov 4, 2009 at 12:53 AM
Did what Captain wrote and it worked!, Thanks Captain.
i did exactly what captain wrote but mine is still not working...please I need help