This article will show you how to enable or disable the touchpad of your HP laptop.
How to enable/disable the touchpad lock on HP laptop (Windows 10)?
If your touchpad no longer works, there are several things you can try. Here's a list of our solutions
Lock or Unlock HP touchpad manually:
- Next to the touchpad, you should see a small LED (orange or blue). This light is your touchpad's sensor.
- Simply double-tap on the sensor to enable your touchpad.
- You can disable your touchpad by double-tapping on the sensor again.
If the yellow/orange/blue light is ON, it indicates that your touchpad is locked. This status indicates that the pointer and the use of your touchpad is disabled. It is not indicative of an error or hardware failure.
Lock or Unlock HP touchpad through Settings:
- Press Windows + I.
- Select Devices, then Touchpad.
- On the right, click on Additional settings (under Related settings).
- From the Mouse properties window, select UltraNav or Device settings.
- If you chose UltraNav: Under the Touchpad section, according to your preferences, check or uncheck the Enable touchpad box. Confirm by clicking Apply.
- If you chose Device settings: select your touchpad and click enable/disable according to your preferences. Click Apply to confirm.
Unlock the HP touchpad with keyboard:
To unlock the touchpad, try one of the following combinations (different combinations work for different models): Fn + F5, Fn + F6, Fn + F9, Fn + F12, Fn + F5, Shift + F5.
Reinstall the driver:
If none of the solutions above work, then try to reinstall the touchpad driver.
- Launch Apps & Features from the Start menu.
- Find the driver in the list.
- Click Uninstall and wait for the process to end.
- Find and download the correct driver.
- Open the file and follow the instructions to install it.
If none of the above works, you can always restart your laptop.
Lock or Unlock from BIOS:
Another way to fix this problem is to enable the touchpad from BIOS.
- Turn on your device and press the appropriate key (Del, F2, or F10 according to your model) during the loading screen to access BIOS.
- Go to System Properties > Keyboard/Mouse Features > Device Options.
- Go to Internal Pointing Device.
- Press Enter.
- Select Enable/Disable.
How to enable/disable the touchpad lock on HP laptop (Windows 7)?
From Control panel:
- Open the Control Panel from the Search menu.
- Double-click Mouse.
- Select Device settings.
- Check if Touchpad is On/Off. Change it according to your preferences.
You can try some other solutions listed in the previous section, such as rebooting your laptop, checking the LED light on the touchpad, and updating the drivers. For more details, refer to the Windows 10 section.
How to enable/disable the touchpad lock on HP Elitebook 840?
Go to your PC settings and from there, select Touchpad. According to your preferences, check/uncheck the Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected box. If this solution doesn't work for you, you can try some of the tips suggested in the first section of the article.
How to enable/disable the touchpad lock on HP Elitebook 8470p?
The same solutions as for HP Elitebook 840 apply.
How to disable touchpad on HP laptop when mouse is connected?
Go to PC settings > Touchpad. From there, uncheck the Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected box.
Is there a shortcut to disable the HP laptop touchpad?
Press Ctrl + Tab to access the TouchPad, ClickPad, and Device Settings, among others. To directly lock or unlock your keyboard, use one of the following combinations (according to your model): Fn + F5, Fn + F6, Fn + F9, Fn + F12, Fn + F5, Shift + F5.
- Hp elitebook
- Hp elitebook 840
- Hp laptops
- Fix laptop keys: CTRL, Fn, Num Pad > Guide
- Fix arrows keys in Excel: Scroll lock, alternative method > Guide
- Keyboard won't type letters or numbers: wireless, laptop > Guide
- When typing on my laptop i have to press FN [solved] > Forum - Keyboard
- I need to unlock my touch screen pad in my hp laptop. pls help > Forum - Laptop
- Asus laptop factory reset: from BIOS, Windows 10, Netbook
- Factory reset HP laptop: from boot, Windows 10, Windows 7
- How to reset Toshiba laptop: without password, Windows 10
- How to factory reset Acer desktop: Windows 8, Windows 7
- How to factory reset Gateway laptop: Windows 10, Windows 7
- Dell laptop Bluetooth not working: Windows 10, Windows 7
- Lenovo laptop screen goes black randomly: how to fix it
- How to light up keyboard on Acer laptop: Aspire 3, Aspire 5
- Synaptics pointing device driver: download, use, Windows 10
- Asus recovery partition: missing, deleted, Windows 10
- How to fix volume buttons on Asus laptop
- How to factory reset Dell laptop: without password, BIOS
- HP laptop camera not working: Windows 10, on Zoom, in Teams
- Lenovo password reset: disk, without disk, Windows 10