Xp security malware has buggered my pc. HELP!

Closed
rouginbstrds - Apr 22, 2010 at 02:01 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 23, 2010 at 05:04 PM
hi guys, just deleted xp security, lost start menu and reg edit will not open. have tried pretty much everything on here. when trying system restore it says it has to close. i am currently using the same pc to write this so my firefox works. cannot open any installed programs, it says to find folder options control panel. seems like i may have deleted something extra that i shouldn't have, possibly an important exe file. cannot open reg cure or registry mechanic either. totally lost, every time i try to open something it says this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control pannel.would love some help. thanks all.
Related:

2 responses

every time i try to open something it says this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create an association in the folder options control pannel.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 22, 2010 at 04:48 PM
Greetings!

Sticky wicket isn't?

Please don't try anything else or you will be marooned up the stream with an oar. (in America "Up shit creek without a paddle") in other words you will ruin any possible recovery to normal health.

Here is your solution:

I shall prescribe to you a very powerfull antidote that is able to kill and send and Trojan Horse to the glue factory. It is of very last resort and should not be abused of, as matter of a fact, once you have used it, I suggest you delete it from your system.

To keep your system safe, you must follow the instructions hereunder to the letter:

1. Download Combofix to your desktop.

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2.Close all open Windows including this one.

Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

3. Double click on the ComboFix icon.

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

4. Accept the disclaimer and the recovery

5.You should now press the Yes button to continue. If at any time during the Recovery Console installation you receive a message stating that it failed to install, please allow ComboFix to continue with the scan of your computer.

ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet, so do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet. When ComboFix has finished it will automatically restore your Internet connection.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings.

If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

Once you are done, paste the log here and report to me on how your system is behaving.

Good luck and God save the Queen
Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I downloaded combofix, but cannot put anything on my desktop. When i tried to run the combofix file from download i still had the message stating that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. the only program i am able to open is a vlc player which still plays videos and music only with no sound. also i am not able to left/right click my desktop. please reply if you have any other ideas related to this incident.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 23, 2010 at 05:04 PM
Hello,

Sorry to hear about that. What is your OS?

I need a better description of your desktop, do you have icons? Can you command prompt?

Can you download to your C\ ?

Would you be able to run a Hyjackthis log?