Microsoft Security Essentials download in progress
You will be automatically redirected to the homepage in 30 seconds.
Microsoft Security Essentials is an effective antivirus program that provides real-time security. The software's main function is to protect your computer against existing malware, viruses, and spyware.
What is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to do?
Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus software developed by Microsoft. It was originally designed for Windows XP, and later made available for Windows Vista and Windows 7. Besides being able to detect malicious software that is trying to infiltrate your data, it also blocks them by activating or increasing the firewall mode (while connected to the internet). The software is programmable to run scans at set intervals, including monthly and annually.
Note: As stated by Microsoft, this software is no longer supported for Windows 7 since January 14 2020. The publisher recommends that you move to Windows 10 or Windows 11, so you can benefit from the built-in Windows Defender Antivirus.
What are the key features of Microsoft Security Essentials?
- Real-time protection: Microsoft Security Essentials addresses potential security threats before they become a problem. You will receive an alert when viruses, malware, or spyware attempt to run on your PC. Moreover, suspicious files and programs are automatically prevented from opening.
- Scanning and cleaning: There are multiple scheduled and on-demand scanning options to choose from. Whenever a threat is detected, you can choose to ignore, delete, or quarantine the item.
- Integrated firewall: Microsoft Security Essentials features a built-in firewall for extra security.
- Software check: The tool helps to keep your PC free from bad software. Microsoft administrates a vast database where popular websites and applications are screened and tested. In case a software is considered potentially harmful, you will receive a warning when trying to download or install it.
How does Microsoft Security Essentials work?
When you open the application, you will be able to choose from the below-mentioned system scanning options:
- Quick scan: This scan performs a quick check of the files on your PC that are most likely to infect, including the registry, memory, and system files.
- Full scan: The full scan thoroughly revised all the folders and files on your hard drive.
- Custom scan: With this scan, you can decide for yourself which areas you would like to check for infections.
Is Microsoft Security Essentials free?
Yes, this software is free for download and use.
Is Microsoft Security Essentials safe?
Microsoft Security Essentials is a high-quality antivirus product that was developed to keep your computer secure. You don't have to worry about running into security vulnerabilities while using this software. On the contrary, it will only improve the safety of your PC.
Does Microsoft Security Essentials work on Windows 10?
No, Microsoft Security Essentials won't work in Windows 10, but Windows Defender is built into Windows 10. Windows Defender has replaced Microsoft Security Essentials.
Does Microsoft Security Essentials still work?
Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including the engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials until 2023. Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. Microsoft Security Essentials reached the end of service on January 14, 2020.
What replaced Microsoft Security Essentials?
Windows Defender has replaced Microsoft Security Essentials with the launch of Windows 8.
- Microsoft security essentials windows 7 64-bit
- Microsoft essentials for windows 7 64 bit
- Microsoft security essentials windows 7 32-bit
- Security checks preventing login > Facebook Forum
- Microsoft Office 2010 > Download - Office suites
- Download Windows 10 free (ISO 64-bit) > Download - Windows
- WinRAR > Download - File decompression
- Download Adobe Flash Player: PC, Mac, Android (APK) > Download - Other