Motherboard or Video Card ??

Closed
777 - Apr 29, 2010 at 09:00 AM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Apr 29, 2010 at 01:38 PM

My desktop PC runs ok but then randomly cuts of my monitor (Black Screen w/ No Signal Msg) and still manages to run programs and stuff because I can still hear music/video playing and I can still manage to restart or shutdown the PC. This happens without the installation of my videocard driver. But when my video card driver is installed its does the same thing, but hangs the PC as well. I'm running my PC now w/o its Vcard driver so I can safely restart/shutdown my system and restarting the PC seems to solve the problem for a little while, so I want opinions before I buy repalcements.

So the question is who's the faulty equipment? Motherboard or Video Card?

I'm pretty sure its either of the 2 (or worst both of them).

I have:
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E4600 on a ECS motherboard (forgot the model but supports both IDE and SATA)
Nvidia Geforce 7300 GT

Btw the PC is almost 2 yrs old and this started after a couple of daily power failures in my area. Thanks for the replies.
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Apr 29, 2010 at 01:38 PM
have a perusal of your motherboard and check for any bulging / leaking capacitors. these will be noticeable when compared to good ones.
if this is the case then mobo needs changing.

Do you have access to another card that you could fit to rule out your card?
could you fit your card in another pc, agan to rule it out?