Can I re install XPPro in a different languae

Closed
fishtalk Posts 14 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010 - Jun 10, 2010 at 05:33 AM
fishtalk Posts 14 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010 - Jun 11, 2010 at 03:04 AM
Hello,
I have XP pro SP2 in Dutch... I also I've a SP2 Installl Disc in French.
Could I use this Disc to reinstall the OS in French.
I have the Product key of the Dutch System stuck on the bottom of the Laptop.
In another forum somebody said I could use the same product key as long as it's still XP Pro ?
Thanks for any enlightenment..... Also if this could work do I do a clean install or just the up grade install.

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 10, 2010 at 08:23 AM
try changing the language in regional and language options(a globe icon) in control panel.
fishtalk Posts 14 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010
Jun 10, 2010 at 09:01 AM
Nope.... that ONLY works IF the original OS was English and other languages were installed at the time..... I've tried what your suggesting...all it changes is the FR, NL, EN in the bottom right hand corner.... but it never actually the original OS language.
Typical Microsoft
CCMclaude Posts 25536 Registration date Monday May 19, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen May 11, 2014 5
Jun 10, 2010 at 09:43 AM
Hi,
In Windows XP, you can set the UI language that the default user on the local machine (or a domain user that doesn't have a profile) will see at first first log on. It is also the UI language that is applied to system services running on local machine.
* Open Regional Options in Control Panel
* Click on the Advanced tab
* In "Default user account settings" at the bottom of the page, check the box beside "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile"
fishtalk Posts 14 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 24, 2010
Jun 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM
O k thanks this is the first positive comment in a week.... OK so I clic on advanced the I get a window with lost of different text possibilties The ( Roman one is ticked) I assume it means Roman Letters. At the bottom of this window there's a box with some Dutch bla bla and a small square box. I tick this box then a get long blue message window with more dutch bla bla and a box Yes or quit.
As I don't understand Dutch I'm afraid to Clic on the Yes box for fear of shutting my self out of the computer... In case there's some password that I dont know ?......
Should I clic on the YES..... all the other forums I've consulted say that you cant change the OS language with XP Pro !!!!! seems weird to me that you can't though.
CCMclaude Posts 25536 Registration date Monday May 19, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen May 11, 2014 5
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Hi,

If you have problems translating Dutch, use an online translator (reverso, etc.)

You must create a restore point before starting to play with any basic setup.

If you run XP Pro (and onwards), you can change your OS User Language provided it was delivered or set up in english.

Important note for users of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2): The support for your product will end July 13, 2010! To ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows after that date you need to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later versions such as Windows 7.

Living in the UK ?

1. I don't know if upgrading from XP pro SP2 to XP Pro SP3 gives the opportunity to select an Operating Language different from the current one, but it could be...<<<--- Ask Microsoft.
2. If not, why not to try to install the Multi-User Interface (MUI) ?
Genuine XP-Pro users are entitled to, I believe... (but you have to run genuine Windows).

What you have toknow about MUI : http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/goglobal/bb688178%28en-us%29.aspx

Additional info :
i. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx
ii. http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=globaldev+reference+win2k+setup+changeUI+mspx&d=4749520963175246&mkt=fr-BE&setlang=fr-BE&w=de31182b,afa28a41

Regards.
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Ok thanks too..... But unfortunatly I belive it was set up in Dutch, But when it boot up there is a little EN sign but it always boots to Dutch as the Computer comes from a Flemish firm.... as for a changing the OS language I only have another SP 2 Disc( French) not an SP3
Can't down load MUI because I cant understand enough dutch to get my AdSL configured for the new computer.... My Wizard keeps coming up Error 769 and to make matters worse I really don't understand Windows as I've been using MAC for the past 7 years...this is really getting quite frustrating but thanks for your comments and Idea's