Cannot see work group PC in Windows7

Closed
shiham - Jun 22, 2010 at 02:20 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 22, 2010 at 05:23 PM
Hello,

i have connected two laptops using Ethernet crossover cable with windows vista and windows7. Finally i can't see windows vista laptop in windows7 laptop, but i can see windows vista laptop for windows7. I have stopped firewall in two laptops. Please assist me to solve this problem... thank you

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 22, 2010 at 05:23 PM
Did you set up Homegroup for networking in Windows 7?
Homegroup only works with Windows 7 computers and will not talk to your XP computer.
If so, you will need to change the networking system to one that XP can use.

On your Windows 7 computer, click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, then go to the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center. Click the link under "view your active networks" (if you've set up a Homegroup,the link should say "home network").
In the next window choose "Work network" that will switch you from a homegroup to a workgroup so your two computers can talk to each other. Before you can network the computers, you must assign the same workgroup name to both of them and SHARE folders in Explorer.

The XP computer's internet problem is not related the above. If your broadband modem is connected to the router and the router is connected to each computer your should not have any problems. If you are using a wireless connection you may have changed the ID or keyword when you installed the Win 7 computer.

Good Luck

Add comment - Edit - Permalink (#1)