Wireless connects, but browsing non-existent

Closed
Melibe Posts 2 Registration date Sunday June 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2010 - Jun 27, 2010 at 08:42 PM
Melibe Posts 2 Registration date Sunday June 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2010 - Jul 7, 2010 at 06:03 PM
I was using wireless network connection on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop for months without any problems. Suddenly, three days ago I started having a problem - my computer still sees and connects to all wireless networks, but the Internet browsing is extremely slow. My browser (I.E.8, Firefox and others)would see the web page, but it takes forever to download it. Most of the time the I.E.8 simply gives up and says that it can not connect to this web page. My computer has Dell LAN wireless card, so I tried to use different external USB wireless card - the same result. The speed of the network connection is 10 Mb, so it should not a problem. I tried for two days different solutions - checked my LAN settings, disabled the antivirus software etc. Long story short, I have found that the only thing that works for me is to restart the Network Store Interface Service. Once I restart it, everything returns to normal and browsing is fast again... untill I restart my computer or wake it up after sleep. Then everything is wrong again with impossible Internet browsing. I have to restart this service again and again. I need help on how to resolve this issue permanently. Constantly restarting wireless services is not a solution. Need to mention that I was not installing any programs or changing any settings at the time when the problem occurred. The only event that coincided with that was the installation of the last updates for Windows Vista SP2. I tried to uninstall the .NET Microsoft 4 Client, but it didn't help. So, I installed it again. I hope you can give me a usefull suggestion on how to proceed further. Thank you.
Related:

1 response

Melibe Posts 2 Registration date Sunday June 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2010
Jul 7, 2010 at 06:03 PM
I have spent the entire week trying to figure out how to resolve my Internet connection problem. Checked all settings (including LAN settings in Internet Options etc.), disabled Windows Firewall, removed all Antivirus software, uninstalled all recent updates that I had just before the problem occurred, reset TCT/IP and Winsock settings, ran System File Checker and OneCare scan, ran several different Antivirus scans, updated all network drivers, reset all network adapters etc. Nothis was working.

Finally, I installed all settings for IP addresses Manualy, instead of leaving it in "Obtain IP addresses Automatically". And it worked!!!!! Now I have my Internet connection functioning perfectly with Manual settings for about 4 days. However, as soon as I switch to Automatic mode, everything goes back to a crawl. I had this switching done probably a dozen times and it is like a clock - working with Manual and bad connection with Automatic.

Even though I can work now with my Internet on Manual settings, I still would like to understand why my system is having a problem with Automatic settings mode.

Any ideas? I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks.