In this guide, we will show you how to prevent unauthorized people from using Google Chrome on your PC. We will show you how to use an extension to password protect Chrome, how to remove guest mode and prevent guest browsing and also how to set up multiple Google Chrome profiles.
How to restrict access to Google Chrome?
With an extension
It depends on what you want to do, if you want to restrict anyone who has access to your PC from using Google Chrome, then you can add a password to Google Chrome with an extension, such as the LockPW extension or the Chrome Lock extension. All you need to do is install either extension onto your Chrome browser and then assign a password. These extensions allow users to set up a password for Chrome to prevent unwanted access. You will prompted to enter a password for Chrome whenever you startup. However, if you leave your Chrome browser open, someone will still be able to access it. If you want to restrict all unwanted access to your PC then it may be simpler just requesting a password every time that you open your laptop.
Set up Google Profiles
If there are multiple users that use your computer, then you can create multiple profiles, each with their own account on the PC. If you prefer to only have one profile on your PC, you can instead add multiple profiles to your Chrome browser. On Google in the top right hand of the screen, select the profile icon and a drop down will appear.
You can scroll through the other profiles associated with your current device and if you want, add a new person or profile at the bottom. Each user can have their own profile when they connect to Google Chrome and will have their own browsing history associated with that account.
How to remove guest mode in Chrome on Windows?
If you want to completely disable guest browsing then there is a solution, although it requires you to go into the Command Prompt in Windows, or the Terminal on Mac. For a Windows PC you will want to start in Windows Search. Look for command prompt in the search bar and then choose to run as administrator.
Then enter the following into the command prompt and click enter.
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome /v BrowserGuestModeEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0
Now restart your computer and close any existing Google Chrome windows and tabs that you had open. When you reopen Chrome and click on profile, the option to browse as a guest will have been removed. To undo the above process, all you need to do is go back into the command prompt and enter the following and then restart your PC and Chrome again and it should be back to normal:
REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome /v BrowserGuestModeEnabled /f
How to disable guest browsing in Chrome on Mac?
Removing the option to browse on Google Chrome with the guest mode on a Mac requires you to go into Terminal and type the following:
defaults write com.google.Chrome BrowserGuestModeEnabled -bool false
Once you have pressed enter, close any open Chrome Windows or Tabs and then restart your Mac. Once your computer has restarted open Chrome. Now when you click on the profiles, you should only see your main profile, and any other profiles, but there will no longer be the guest option in the bottom left. If you want to revert to how it was before, all you need to do is go back into Terminal and enter the following:
defaults write com.google.Chrome BrowserGuestModeEnabled -bool true
- How to disable guest mode on chrome
- How to disable guest mode in chrome
- Disable guest mode chrome
- Can't remove history from google chrome > Guide
- Remove google account from chrome > Guide
- Delete search suggestions on Android > Guide
- How to delete Facebook browsing history on Android > Guide
- How to clear auto-opening settings on Chrome: 2021 > Guide
- Enable WebGL Chrome: 2021, Mac, Android
- How to allow multiple downloads in Chrome
- How to stop Chrome from searching in address bar 2021
- How to sort bookmarks in Chrome: alphabetically, by date
- Where are Chrome extensions stored: Mac, Windows 10, Linux
- How to change the character in the dinosaur Chrome game?
- How to recover Google account password: without phone number
- How to disable images in Chrome: Android, iPhone, extension
- How to view recently visited websites on Chrome
- How to see incognito history: Android, Mac, Windows
- How to search for a word on a web page Chrome: shortcut, Mac
- How to close all tabs in Google Chrome on Android
- How to block camera and microphone access on Chrome
- Disable hardware acceleration Chrome: shortcut, registry
- What does the lock symbol mean on Google Chrome?
- How to change Chrome icon on desktop
- How to play audio files directly in Chrome
- How to export bookmarks from Chrome: Edge, Safari, Firefox
- Enable the FPS counter on Google Chrome
- How to access Google USA: from other countries
- How to open Chrome Settings: shortcut, in a new window
- How to set zoom settings in Google Chrome
- How to clear cookies on Chrome: automatically, Android, Mac
- Disable touch events: Chrome
- How to find saved passwords in Chrome: Mac, Android, PC
- How to change new tab page Chrome: Android, extension, Mac
- How to install extension in Chrome: Android, manually
- How to check Google Chrome: version history, for updates
- Speed up Chrome browser: Windows 10, PC, on Android
- Create desktop shortcut on Google Chrome
- How to enable Google Chrome power saving mode
- How to access the Google Dashboard G Suite?
- Restore Google toolbar: in Windows 10, on Android tablet
- How to send link via email with Google Chrome extension
- How to enter full screen mode Chrome: Windows 10, Mac
- How to auto refresh Chrome tab with an extension
- How to make your Google Chrome page background a GIF?
- How to fix Google Chrome cursor bug
- How to reset Google Chrome settings: to default, Android
- Update Google Chrome browser Android or iPhone
- How to turn off auto translate in Chrome: Android
- How to stop Chrome from blocking downloads
- The best Chrome extensions of 2022: security, productivity
- Google Translate extension Chrome: Mac, Android
- The best flags to customise Google Chrome in 2022
- How to enable extensions in incognito in Chrome
- How to see downloads in Chrome: Android, iOS
- How to change download location Chrome: Android, Mac
- How to turn off Chrome notifications
- How to reopen closed tabs in Chrome
- Enable private browsing in Google Chrome: in incognito, PC
- How to block ads on Google Chrome?