Forum help

Closed
Mary46 - Jan 14, 2008 at 04:48 AM
dcanl Posts 2999 Registration date Tuesday September 6, 2005 Status Contributor Last seen June 3, 2013 - Jan 31, 2008 at 05:30 PM
Hi!

I just built an HTML web site and I would like to add a forum. I don't want to add one that is premade however.

The only languages I want to use are HTML and Javascript.
Basically, all I need help doing is finding some way to create a new file, write to the file and read from the same file with Javascript. The file will be on MY server (which for now is just my computer because it’s still all offline) and I will know the path to it.
Any help? I've been reading around and I've read that it can't be done but I really doubt that.

If I can figure out how to do these 3 functions (write a new file, add to the file, and read the file in) then I should be fine from there.

I'd also like it to be cross platform, so no ActiveX stuff please. If it doesn't work in Firefox and Safari then I don't want it.

1 response

dcanl Posts 2999 Registration date Tuesday September 6, 2005 Status Contributor Last seen June 3, 2013 1
Jan 31, 2008 at 05:30 PM
Hello.

I think that the best way to do that is php (and mysql).

But create a forum is (very) difficult... There's a lot of functionalities... Moderation, administration, security...

I used some premade forums (phpbb, punbb, invision powerboard and so on...)... That's a good solution (PunBB is very good, not too big).

HTML and javascript are not the best way to do what you want to do (if I really understood...). And if you want to use these only two languages, I think that you won't find much help to make your own forum.

If you want to learn PHP / MySQL, I suggest you this site : http://www.newbiesparadise.com/tutorial-3-30-0-a-dynamic-site-using-php.html

Bye.