No task manager to regain start menu

Closed
frankie - Jul 23, 2010 at 09:33 PM
Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 - Jul 25, 2010 at 05:11 AM
Hello,

i read how to fix your computr if you have a virus & can't see your start menu...but the first step was press control, alt, delete--problem is the virus turned off my task manager.

Related:

15 responses

Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:05 PM
pleas go to this website to get your task manager open...

https://askleo.com/why_is_my_task_manager_disabled_and_how_do_i_fix_it/

if you need any more help come back and we will help you with it.

Regards, Gervarod
thx...but i couldn't use that website because i still hav the virus & their instuctions were for after the removal of the virus...
Gervarod Posts 306 Registration date Saturday March 27, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2014 21
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM
but can you get on the internet to get to google?
the start menu pops up for about 2 seconds & i click on it...or i go through on of the virus scans that connct you directly to the internet.
yes that's how i get on the internet
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:34 PM
well then maybe you will need another computer or a laptop to help you to download these files to help you to remove them if you can able do that
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM
but can you get on the net to get to google?
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:28 PM
are you able to download Malwarebytes to remove it?

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

but one thing is rename it to kioskea.exe please do a full system scan and it should take from 20 minutes to an hour to scan ok. after that then remove the viruse and then it will say have to reboot to remove it then after that reopen malwarebtes and do another scan.
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM
no do not go through the internet when the virus opens it it will take you to a unsafe site to download the programs.

but one thing is open you main IE and turn off proxy settings as it may be stopping you to get access in your main internet
o...ok, thank u

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:36 PM
well then maybe you will need another computer or a laptop to help you to download these files to help you to remove them if you can able do that for you
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM
so what virus did you get on it? do you have any Anti-Virus protection on your computer?

reply back asap so i may help you then buddy
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:52 PM
one thing here do this but i will give you the website link to go to to download the programs to remove the virus or the Trojan

Automated Removal Instructions for Security Tool using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

1. Print out these instructions as we may need to close every window that is open later in the fix.

2. It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If you find this is the case when following these instructions, then you will need to download the requested files in this guide to another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive.

3. Before we can do anything we must first end the processes that belong to Security Tool so that it does not interfere with the cleaning procedure. To do this, download the following file to your Desktop.

4. As this infection hides the Windows desktop, we need to open up a window that allows us to see the icons.

If you are using Windows XP perform the following steps:

Click on the Start button and then click on the Run menu item. When the Run box opens, type %UserProfile%\desktop in the Open: field and then press Enter on your keyboard.

If you are in Windows Vista or Windows 7 perform the following steps.

Click on the Start button and type %UserProfile%\desktop in the Search field at the bottom of the start menu. Then press Enter on your keyboard.

5. You should now see a window that shows all of your desktop icons, including the rkill.com program. Now double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Security Tool and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by Security Tool when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate Security Tool . So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

6. Now you should download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)

7. When the file has finished downloading, look on your desktop for mbam-setup.exe and right-click on it and select Rename. The title of the program will now have a blinking cursor where you can edit the name. Please change the name of the program to Explorer.exe.

8. After you rename the mbam-setup.exe to Explorer.exe, close all your programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.

9. Double-click on the icon on your desktop named Explorer.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

10. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing and is at the last screen, make sure you uncheck both of the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware check boxes. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.

If you receive a code 2 error while installing Malwarebytes's, please press the OK button to close these errors as we will resolve them in future steps. The code 2 error will look similar to the image below.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Screen

11. As this infection deletes a core executable of Malwarebytes', or does not allow it to run, we will need to download a new copy of it and put it in the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder. To download the file please click on the following link:

When your browser prompts you where to save it to, please save it to the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder. When downloading the file, it will have a random filename. Please leave the filename the way it is as it is important that it is not changed. You may want to write down the name of the file as you will need to know the name in the next step.

12. Once the file has been downloaded, open the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder and double-click on the file you downloaded in step 14. MBAM will now start and you will be at the main program screen as shown below.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Screen

13. Before you can perform a scan, you must first update the program. To do this click on the Update tab, and that at the new screen click on the Check for Updates button. Malwarebytes' will now check for new updates and download and install them as necessary. When the update is completed, you will be prompted with a message stating either that you already have the latest updates or that they have been updated. Either way, you should now click on the OK button to continue.

14. Now click on the Scanner tab and make sure the the Perform full scan option is selected. Then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Security Tool related files.

15. MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the image below.

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Scanning Screen

16. When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image below.

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Scan Finished Screen

You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the SecurityTool removal process.

17. You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.

18. A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.

MalwareBytes Scan Results

You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.

19. When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad window.

20. You can now exit the MBAM program.

pleas click on the link's in blue ONLY (Malwarebytes' EXE Download)
(rkill.com Download Link)
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:53 PM
just dont worry about the name of it ok but do it to see if it removes them
i have a really old laptop from 06...so how do i access these things from my lapyop
im also afraid if i open my "active desktop" my screen will turn blank & i won't be able to perform anything. th only way i am able to use this comp. now is because my "active desktop" is not restored. now allowing icons such as the ons you named...will that restore my active desktop???
our new comments disappeared...i cant view anything you written from today...what was your last few responses to my questions/statements???
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM
well do back into safemode with networking and click on ok if it say's control panel settings are right ok that always pop's up when in safemode with networking. then just go to your internet and see if you can download the files from there on then
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:59 PM
please give me a Trend Micro Hijackthis log file scan OK but download it and install it here's the link to click on ok..........https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001110.htm

and if you dont know how to use it click on this link to show you how to use the program OK
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001110.htm
well you can download them from your old laptop but hook it up to your internet and then download them and burn them to a CD or a pendrive or a USB stick to install them on your computer. but can you boot into safemode with net working? if so then us that and thenm download the files such as malwarebytes and do a scan with that OK but maybe rename it to kioskea.exe to be on the safe side.

So what do you mean your active desktop? you might try to use safemode with net working and you should able to get to you main desk top screen and give Malwarebytes a go.

But one thing is do you have the virus popped up and scanning your camputer saying you got so many viruses and Malware on it?

Reply to me ASAP
i tried safe mode w/ networking but i didnt really know what to do...it said make sure control panel settings were right...& restart...but even in safe mode the whol task bar disappeared...i dont have any of those (usb...) & is malaware a free download...it asked for payment...
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Well it's a rouge Trojan scarware and dont use you credit card or give you bank details to it but one thing can you burn Rkill to a cd and then install it that way then if you can?

hop to hear from you again asap
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM
well do back into safemode with networking and click on ok if it say's control panel settings are right ok that always pop's up when in safemode with networking. then just go to your internet and see if you can download the files from there.
i'll try but my taskbar is only open for a few seconds...idk if i will be able to click on internet and control panel...i'll let u know what happens!
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM
well another way to open it is by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc at the same time to see if that opens for you for a few seconds. but on thing can you open cmd so you can try to download the programs from there then buddy let me know but im going to bed i will be on here 2mora afternoon mate Hoo Roo catch ya
Jul 25, 2010 at 05:11 AM
but can you even open your internet to gain access to download the programs?

but if not turn off your proxy then you can get access to the sites....

Click the Tools menu item and select Internet Options. The location of the Tools menu depends on which version of Internet Explorer (IE) you are using. On IE 6, it is in the menu. On IE 7, it is on the right side of the tool bar.
#
Step 2
Connections Tab

Connections Tab

From the Internet Options window, select the Connections tab.
#
Step 3
LAN Settings button

LAN Settings button

Click the LAN Settings button.
#
Step 4
Proxy Server Settings

Proxy Server Settings

From the LAN Settings window, make sure the Proxy Server check box is either CHECKED or UN-CHECKED depending on whether you are using a proxy. Most likely at home you will have it UN-CHECKED.
#
Step 5

Click the OK button on the LAN Settings window, then click OK on the Internet Options window.

You are done!

but who's computer are you using to get access to this site any way on another computer ? if so just download the programs from that computer and then burn them to a CD can you do that?