Batch file to output filename to csv file

Solved/Closed
CP1717 - Dec 9, 2008 at 02:59 PM
Richard.Williams Posts 25 Registration date Saturday November 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 18, 2012 - Dec 30, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to write a windows batch file that will look for a fixed file in a fixed folder (ie c:\folder\file1.csv) and use the dir command to output the filename and last written date to a second csv file (ie c:\folder\file2.csv). The output must be in two columns and will look something like this when you open file2.csv:

file1.csv 10/14/2008 15:38

This seems like a fairly straightforward batch, but i'm struggling to limit my output to just these two attributes and place them in the first two columns and first row of file2.csv

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

4 responses

Swarve Posts 4 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 10, 2008 4
Dec 9, 2008 at 05:37 PM
Hi CP1717,

The script you need is as follows:

____________________Begin Code__________________

Dim Filepath
Dim Filename
Dim OutputFile

Filepath = "c:\test\" 'Edit this to specify the filepath
Filename = "file1.csv" 'Name of file that last edited date/time is needed
OutputFile = "file2.csv" 'File to output results to

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If not objFSO.FileExists(FilePath & OutputFile) then
Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(Filepath & OutputFile)
Wscript.sleep(2000) 'Pause while file is being created
End If

If objFSO.FileExists(Filepath & Filename) then
Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile(Filepath & Filename)
Lastmodifieddate = objFile.DateLastModified

Const ForWriting = 2
Set outputFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(Filepath & "file2.csv", ForWriting) ' Open file for writing
OutputFile.Write Filename & "," & objFile.DateLastModified 'Write filename and last modified date to output file
OutputFile.Close
End If
set objFSO = Nothing

____________________End Code__________________

The three variables, filepath, filename and output file that are set up on lines 5, 6 and 7 can be modified to pick up any path and filename that you specify and will create the file on line 7 on the same path.

If you save that code as test.vbs file, then in your batch file, you will need to enter the line "Call test.vbs". Obviously if you change the name of the vbs file, you will need to change the reference to it in your batch file.

Bandy (now known as Swarve since I've joined)
Wow!

Thanks so much! I can figure it out from here. You are my hero!
Swarve Posts 4 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 10, 2008 4 > CP1717
Dec 9, 2008 at 05:55 PM
No problem at all, if you get any issues, let me know.

If you want to find out more about vb scripting, here are a couple of good starting points:

http://www.w3schools.com/Vbscript/default.asp
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/?mfr=true

Cheers,

Swarve
00666111384 Posts 1 Registration date Monday February 23, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 24, 2009
Feb 24, 2009 at 02:58 AM
Hi,

How can make a vbs file is it the same as creating a batch file? I wanna know how to make my html file change it extension name to .txt files with date included.

example:

ren *.html -> 02-20-2009 *.txt

Please and Thank you.