CD Drive not seen by Win2k or XP

Closed
RalphL - Dec 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM
 RalphL - Dec 11, 2008 at 05:36 PM
Hello,
I had a perfectly running PC until I replaced my 120 GB IDE Hard disk with a 320GB Seagate Barracuda (wonderful Drive). I can boot in either Win98, Win2K, or Win XP-SP3.
System has 2 hard drives, DVD drive, and CD drive.

Now, when I boot in either Win2K or Win XP, my CD Rom drive is not seen in My Computer, until I do a "Scan for new Hardware" from the "Device Manager". However the BIOS and Win 98 both see the CD drive.
Has anyone experienced this problem and can offer a solution?
Its very annoying having to do a Hardware rescan each time the PC is rebooted to see the CD drive.

Thanks..RL
Related:

5 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 10, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Well tell me how you have them set up on the IDE cables.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
PRI IDE Chnl: 320GB hard drive as Master (OS's Apps, etc)
PRI IDE Chnl: CD Rom drive as Slave.

Sec IDE Chnl: DVD Drive as Master,
Sec IDE Chnl: Second hard drive as Slave. (Data, Gen storage).

As indicated in my post, all my drives were seen on My Computer before the new hard drive was installed, and no hardware changes were made. What is bafling is that Win 98 sees them just fine, so it can't be hardware related???
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 11, 2008 at 02:37 AM
Alright, well firstly under WinXP go to Start>Right click on My Computer> Manage> Under Storage to your left click Disk Management and tell me if all 4 show up under that.
Hello,
After boot up, the CD Rom is NOT showing up in Disk Management until I do "Scan for Hardware Changes" in Device Manager; then it shows up and also in My Computer.

PS. Its great you are taking the time to help - Thanks.
Dec 11, 2008 at 04:46 PM
Then for some reason it's not being detected on Startup. Check your bios and make sure it's not set to auto, but your drives are selected.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi,
Yes the drives are all set to Auto in the BIOS, that is how they have been since day one. They were All seen in My Computer just fine up to when the new hard drive was installed. Now all three drives are seen except for the CD Drive. Is it possible that there is a timing issue with the drive and windows? The new drive is faster than the old one.