Dell Studio 15 and Samsung Series 7 LCD-TV

Closed
stsz Posts 2 Registration date Saturday August 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2010 - Aug 28, 2010 at 03:51 AM
stsz Posts 2 Registration date Saturday August 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2010 - Aug 28, 2010 at 04:16 AM
Hello,

I just ordered a Dell Studio 15 CTO 1558 with an ATI HD 5470 graphics card. It has a HDMI connector, but after I read some articles it looks like Dell spared Audio-out functionality on the HDMI port of Studio 15 laptops.
That wouldn't be a tragedy if it were possible to connect the audio via 3.5mm jack to my Samsung Series 7 LCD-TV, but yesterday I tried a simple experiment: I muted the audio on an HDMI device (on Port 1: "HDMI/DVI/PC"), and connected the 3.5mm audio-in jack of my Samsung 7 to an audio source, with no effect. The Samsung did not switch to the analogue audio input.

Now I am puzzled. Still waiting for my Dell to arrive I do not know whether it in fact isn't able to output audio on HDMI and/or my TV will refuse to switch to analogue audio in as well if connected by HDMI. Besides lack of audio, the Dell has true HDMI output, thus no DVI-over-HDMI. If it were DVI then my Samsung would switch to the analogue input, at least that's what the manual says. And I am afraid that buying a HDMI-DVI and DVI-HDMI converter cable won't fix the problem (as the electrical signals are still the same).

So my question is: Does anybody have experience on either or both of the devices? And how to fix the problem if it reall appears?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan.
Related:

1 response

stsz Posts 2 Registration date Saturday August 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2010
Aug 28, 2010 at 04:16 AM
Okay, after searching a bit on the Samsung homepage, I think I solved it myself. It is a bit counterintuitive, but:

Go to Menu -> Channel List
Select HDMI1/DVI
Press the "Tools" button, select "Edit Name" (yeah)
In the follwing menu, select HDMI1/DVI again, press ENTER.
Select "DVI PC" from the list.

The audio input will after switched to the "PC Audio-In" jack for the HDMI1/DVI source. This also works if the device connected is actually true HDMI.