Connectivity with Wifi

Closed
Zim - Aug 31, 2010 at 06:40 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Aug 31, 2010 at 05:40 PM
Hello,
I have wifi installed at home 2 days before.

My one laptop(Toshiba NB) is working but not the other(dELL ),however it works on the cable if connected.

Surprisingly, i brought my dell in the university and i just put the password and it started working . please guide

Thanks

Azeem

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 31, 2010 at 07:53 AM
Hi there,

Which model of dell is it?does the dell have wireless facility?check also in device manager if ever there is wireless on it and driver is installed or missing for further help.

Thanks
Ya Dellis Vostro 1510, it has wireless facility and it is connecting on the University wifi system but not on home wifi?and it has always been working .
Tell me the Network key is the WPA number? as I entered this as key in Toshiba and it started working but not Dell 1510., the message comes, Signals EXCELLENT, speed 54 mbps, status aCGUIRING nETWORK ADDRESS.
johnnyboy23 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday August 31, 2010 Status Member Last seen August 31, 2010
Aug 31, 2010 at 08:52 AM
Yeah, I suppose you must have wireless facility if you said you managed to connect to the university's wifi network..
Check for drivers and check to see if there are some special settings that need to be done to pair up the dell laptop with the wifi router you use.

Dunno, just a thought.
Hi
Thanks but what I have to check in the dell drivers of laptop?

Anyway I try to check the settings of the drivers.

Please do tell if ther is something further

Zim

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 31, 2010 at 04:19 PM
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) Check the SSID and the security key. If your Toshiba laptop is working

properly then compare the wireless properties settings between your Dell and

Toshiba laptops.

2) Click on Start --> Run --> type cmd and click on OK. Now enter this command

ipconfig/all and press enter.

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers

are having addresses.

Good Luck.
Thanks again

I followed the previous instructions, the laptops settings are the same so far I can see.

But i cannot see the addresses in IP Address it is 0.0.0.0
subnet mask 0.0.0.0
default gateway. Nothing written
DHCP ENABLED YES
AUTOCONFIGURATION ENABLED YES
DHCP SERVER 255.255.255.255
Media state disconnected

I hope the info will be helpfult o fix the problem.
Thanks for the guidance

Azeem
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 31, 2010 at 05:40 PM
Hello,
Try this 1.
Click on "Start"-->in search box, type services.msc and press "Enter".
At the right side, search for the service named "DHCP client"--> double click on it.
Set startup type as "Automatic" and then click on "Start" --->click on OK.
Note: If its already started, then Click on "Stop" and then "Start".

Then scroll down for the service named "Wireless Zero Configuration" --> double click on it.
Set startup type as "Automatic" and then click on "Start".
Note: If its already started, then Click on "Stop" and then "Start".

If the problem still exists then click on the below link and follow the instructions.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/wireless_solutions
Click on "Wireless network".
Good Luck.