Isass.exe App Error (desk top not loading)

Closed
beauty - Dec 20, 2008 at 08:44 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM
Hello,

Booting my desk top pc, i receive error Isass.exe Application Error dialogue box. It states: "The instruction at "0x00401082" referenced memory at "0x00000000". This memory could not be "written".

I have tried Alt+Ctrl+Del and I can not get anything to load. the screen is blank. Someone please help.

6 responses

sorry for asking a potentially dumb question. I'm pretty technologically challenged, but by choosing the "repair/install" option would it recover any of the files previously saved on the computer or will all that be lost? Is there a way to recover any of the things saved on there such as pictures or word documents? Thanks ahead of time!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM
lsass.exe application error - If you are suddenly getting an lsass.exe application error and can't use your computer, its likely you have a virus which could provide access to personal information on your computer.

The lsass.exe application error usually comes from either a corrupted install of Windows, in which case you need to reinstall Windows, or your PC has been infected by a "drive-by download" and you need to remove the virus or trojan that installed a worm using a different file also named lsass.exe.

The original Windows version of lsass.exe is in your Windows/System32 folder, so any other instance of lsass.exe on your PC should be removed.

Getting rid of viruses, trojans, and malware hard to do unless you use the right removal tools. Basically, you are looking to remove all files associated with the virus/trojan/worm from your program files, system registry, and temporary internet files.

Boot into "safe mode" (hit F8 during the Windows boot)

To remove this particular application error and other malware variations, download the free MalwareBytes Anti-Malware tool at download.com, plus download Piriform's CCleaner and use these free tools to scan your PC.

Piriform CCleaner removes all the temporary browser files from your PC, which is where malware programs, viruses, and popup ad launchers files hide, often by renaming the executable file using random letters after one version is deleted.

You'll need to run the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware tool runs first because it runs before your computer finishes booting, so it can root out all the various virus files in the system registry before they can use tricky methods to reinstall themselves under those randomly generated new file names.

When the report finishes, it will list all the adware, spyware, and malware files like trojan keyloggers that need to be removed, along with the associated Windows registry keys that also need to be deleted to keep it from automatically re-installing.

Just follow the prompts to delete the malware files and your computer is clean. Delete all the temporary files using CCleaner so you don't get reinfected.
I have the same problem and downloaded the apps on a different PC. However I am unable to run the apps on my infected PC because it will not boot. any advice?
Yeah, I have same prob as realvaguy... what to do???
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 4, 2009 at 03:08 PM
I fixed this problem on my sister's computer by doing a Windows "repair/install" - this preserved myapplication programs and data. I found that free she had very little free space on the C drive. It seams that lack on free space can cause this problem. Google "Windows repair/install" for instructions. Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
SO is it okay to delete the corrupted lsass.exe file, THEN reinstall Windows??
Nov 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM
yes that should work.