Running unbelievably slowly after a re-instal

Closed
alphadog Posts 11 Registration date Sunday October 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 3, 2009 - Dec 20, 2008 at 07:51 AM
eurospc Posts 6 Registration date Sunday October 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2009 - Dec 20, 2008 at 08:01 AM
Hi,

I have a computer, a Dell Dimension 3000 pc, P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb HD (2x256) graphics on board, 80Gb hard drive. My problem is that it is running unbelievably slowly after a re-install.
I had to wait for quite a long time for start-up and I could see nothing obvious causing the problem and so thought I will do a re-install again, but I was not successful in doing so!
Setup loaded files, got to setup screen, selected HDD and started copying files over!
About an hour later, only 12% was completed, so shut I it down!

I'm suspecting the power supply to be the cause of it but not sure. Please somebody tell me if this could cause the problem?
Related:

1 response

eurospc Posts 6 Registration date Sunday October 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2009
Dec 20, 2008 at 08:01 AM
Hello,
I don't think that this could be a power supply problem. I would like to help you but firstly I need to know some things, so please answer the following questions:
Have you noticed any unusual noises coming from the hard drive?

Have you tried the hard drive is another system that is working normally?

Did you try to isolate your CD-ROM drive from the IDE interface?

Did you tried to reset your BIOS to default settings?

Inspect the capacitors as suggested. Bad capacitors don't always render a system totally useless.

According to me, it is the IDE interface which is in a slow PIO mode rather than DMA, so the CD-ROM drive and BIOS may be the subjects for this trouble.