Registration date
Monday September 27, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 3, 2010
-
 afonso -
Hello,

I have a Lenovo R60 running on XP Home SP3 and I cannot create a network connection.

I went into Network Connection and click "Create a new connection" and was taken to the "Welcome to the New Connection Wizard".

I followed all the steps - connect to the internet - set up my connection manually - connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password - ISP name - then I entered the user name and password - FINISH.

After I click finished, there is no icon on the network connection folder nor any icon on the desktop (I have ticked add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop).

Without this icon, I just cannot connect my laptop to the internet via my ADSL. I had tried for the last 3 days but I still cannot solved the problem.

Can anyone out there please help. Thanks.

Jimmy

12 replies

Registration date
Wednesday August 25, 2010
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2011
Hi,

@ jimtan

Please check if your network driver is installed. Right click my computer, click properties, then navigate to hardware, device manager. Uninstalled components were usually appear as yellow question mark. If the network adapters has a yellow question mark, install that component.

Download your driver here:

https://support.lenovo.com/fr/en/

Choose network Adapters, then the O.S you are using.

Thanks
Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 3, 2010

Dear sir,

I have navigated to the device manager per your instruction. Network adapter is normal and fine. Hardware working. Driver installed. The problem is persist. Please assist. Thanks.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2011
Hi,

May I know what is appears on the adapters lists please?
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2011
Hi,

Try this. Right Click My Network Places on Desktop or Click Start Menu, navigate to Accessories then Communications and click My Network Connections. Right Click on the Broadcom Nextreme Gigabit Internet, and click Properties. Click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) make sure theres a check mark on the box beside it. Also at the bottom, Put a check mark on those two small box. Click Properties and Set it to Obtain an IP Address automatically, at the bottom set it also to Obtain DNS server address Automatically. Click OK. Set your internet again and tell me the output.

Thank you
Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 3, 2010

Hi, thanks for your message. I had tried per your instruction but I still have the same problem. However, after right click on the broadcom nextreme gigabit internet icon and click properties, I click the advanced tab and get the following message instead:

"Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The windows management instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this, use system restore to restore windows to an earlier time (called a restore point). System restore is located in the system tools folder in Accessories."

I have tried all my earlier restore points trying to restore windows but each time it says windows cannot restore it to the last restore point. I had tried stopping Norton from running, tried stopping my Malware anti-malware from running and even tried to restore from safe mode, but all these still did not work. Please help. Thanks.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2011
Hello,

Click Start Menu navigate to Run. Type in services.msc. Find Windows Management Instrumentation. Right Click start or if its disabled right click properties, set the startup type to automatic. CLick Start. Also in the Event Log, Follow the same procedure
Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 3, 2010

Hi, both of them have started and running all the while. Both of them are on automatic as well. The WMI information is still corrupted after I tried restoring the WMI. I have run out of ideas.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2011
Try this:

I had the same issue and looked everywhere for a resolution. Ive found two issues. The event log service is not running. Once turned on WMI runs. If event log wont run a repair or reinstall is necessary. If event log is running the fix is rather simple. First be sure the windows management service is stopped. Open the command prompt and navigate to %systemroot%\system32\wbem\repository. Once in this folder del *.* and del FS. After a reboot the windows management is forced to create a new database clearing out the error.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 3, 2010

Hi, I had tried what you had advised but it still cannot solved the problem.
that dont make sense jimtan
Registration date
Status
Last seen
January 31, 2011
Try this:

Go to my computer.
Double your C: drive navigate to windows\system32\web.
Find "framedyn.dll". Copy This to c:\windows\system32 folder.

Hope this help.

Thanks
Thank you very much for your solution but regret that I could not try it out as I had since re-installed my OS. Appreciate your help and hope this solution can assist those who experienced the same problem as me.

Jimmy
Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 3, 2010

Hi, under the Network adapters, there are 3 devices, namely:
1. Bluetooth Lan access server driver
2. Broadcom netxtreme gigabit ethernet
3. Intel (R) Pro/wireless 3945ABG network connection.

I am using item 2 above to log on to the internet previously via my home ADSL. 3 days ago, the network connection icon on my desktop is not workable, and disappeared from the network connection folder. I have used another laptop computer, create a new network connection successfully and log on to the internet. There are also icons on the desktop and in the network connection folder but I am still trying to solve the problem on my first laptop computer. I had tried creating numerous network connections with different names but NO icon ever appear on the desktop or in the network connection folder. Therefore I am still unable to log on to the internet with my first laptop.

I had also tried restoring to previous dates but not successful, with all previous restore points tried already.

I had also tried to adjust all the services to the XP default, still cannot solve the problems. Just repair the WMI and register, still the problem exist. Really don't know what to do now.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.