Cannot browse, but have internet connection?

Solved/Closed
billygoat
Posts
6
Registration date
Wednesday May 5, 2010
Status
Member
Last seen
May 5, 2010
- May 5, 2010 at 01:53 PM
 imun - Jun 28, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Hello all,

Here's my situation: I have a HP Pavillion desktop with Vista and a wireless modem.
I am connected to the internet, have all four green lights on the modem and five bars in my startup menu wireless icon. I cannot browse, however, I keep getting the HTTP 403 error message on Explorer and "server not found" on Firefox.

I have tried talking to the trouble shooting staff at AT&T, HP and the store I purchased the computer and no avail. It pings, it recognizes the IP address, everything seems in order but I still cannot browse. I have looked up all potential solutions on this site including downloading "winsockfix" several cmd instructions and resets, resetting internet options, turning off firewall, etc...I am completely lost. Someone please suggest something useful.

To make matters worse, I am typing this from my XP laptop which connects to the same modem, also using wireless. So, I know the connection works and am pretty sure the issue is Vista related. Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

-bg

4 replies

cbqfly
Posts
3
Registration date
Saturday December 11, 2010
Status
Member
Last seen
December 11, 2010
3
Dec 11, 2010 at 05:02 PM
the problem your having most likely has to do with a virus. I myself have just removed a virus that allowed me to ping but not browse as the virus actually acts as a proxy server itself and changes all your browsers to use itself as a proxy server. if you have anti virus installed it's probably because your anti virus has quarantined the virus thus it's not able to redirect the traffic through itself anymore. you need to manually remove the proxy server settings on your browsers and also even though your anti virus may have gotten rid of 2 files the virus is probably still there. as for mine there were 3 processes but only 2 were detected. the files that were viruses for me were csrss.exe, conhost.exe and dwm.exe. even though I had actual system processes with those name I realized they were the virus as in the description they would only show the name of the process and not an actual description in the task manager. after I had deleted all of them I manually changed my proxy settings. for firefox had to type in about:config and reset all the proxy settings that pointed to local host or 127.0.0.1. and in internet explorer I had to use regedit to edit the system registry to remove proxy setting entries under internet explorer.
22
this is the exact problem I had, and I did everything except what you suggested, and it worked beautifully. For IE though, an easier way would be to go to tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings, and uncheck "Use a proxy server..." Thanks much for the help!!
0
it's cool how a opposite things can help someone, I got the same problem but now I check "use a proxy server " and it's work for me , I think first of all people have to look the configuration of the wireless signal first then it'll be good thanks so much CKK.
0
@ckk...thank u so much for the information.i had the same problm bt nw its gone..no vurus nothing...thank u sooooooooo much.
0