HP Pavillion DV5000 Log In Issues!

Closed
Chris - Oct 13, 2010 at 02:47 PM
 Chris - Oct 15, 2010 at 07:57 PM
Hello,

I got this HP Pavillion DV5000 not even a year ago yet from eBay, I know shame on me buying a crappy laptop from a auction site, but I was desperate. Now hear me out,
The laptop worked perfectly fine until randomly one day it crapped out on me. It would load Windows XP to the log in screen and from there it would do nothing... For hours I would let it sit and still nothing. The screen and everything was on, but I didn't understand what was going on. The laptop would boot perfectly fine in Safe Mode and I tried a System Restore, which never works. I dunno why I even bothered with that. Regardless, I eventually transferred all my stuff to a external hard drive and then proceeded to wipe the machine and it worked perfectly fine.

Now, a couple weeks ago, it started doing the same thing again. This time however, It doesn't even go to the Log In screen. It'll load the XP Logo incredibly slow and then nothing, but a black screen with all lights and fans going. I can also hear the hard drive working as well. Again, the laptop will start in Safe Mode perfectly fine, but no luck anywhere else. What's different from last time though is that, the night prior to this happening the 2nd time. Windows had a update as I shut the computer down and installed it. So I figure that might be the cause, but I'm not 100% sure. Please help guys, I rather not wipe this machine again. I mean I do have other PC's but I rather not sit in my room all the time. :(

Related:

4 responses

You will have to get an xp disk and format and install xp again
sadgurl Posts 697 Registration date Thursday May 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2010 219
Oct 13, 2010 at 03:11 PM
Hi,

You can attempt for repair by booting from installation cd then make a backup creating new partitions on it and then format it installing vista which will work better on it.

Thanks
Rather not use Vista even though this laptop is able to use it. I prefer XP over anything else currently, although I'd love to upgrade to Windows 7.
Hey guys! Thanks for taking the time to help! I actually figured out how to get it to work myself! WITHOUT WIPING THE MACHINE! I noticed some people had similar issues to me except their laptop wouldn't really show any screen when they turn it on. I found that...

-Taking out the battery & ram for 10 minutes.
-Proceeding to charge the laptop without the ram and battery for 2 minutes.
-Unplug charger and hold power button for 45 seconds to drain the internal battery.
-Put the battery and ram back in and plug charger in.

Then BAM! Laptop works as if nothing happens. Very bizarre and weird instructions, but they seemed to work without resetting the system entirely and losing all my data and such. :)