Computer wont start after adding 1gb of ram

Closed
nioby22 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 19, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2010 - Oct 19, 2010 at 01:21 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 20, 2010 at 04:44 AM
Hello,
I have a inspiron 530 with vista ultimate 32.i tried putting an extra gb of ram in my computer(already had 2gb)and when i started it up it loads up and after that it just has a black screen.i took out the extra gb and now its working and i know the maxium ram for the computer is 4gb and i only had 2 so adding another would be 3.i just want to know why the screen is black after i add one gb of ram thank you.

Related:

6 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 19, 2010 at 03:55 AM
Hello,

Please verify that you have the correct stick for you computer. Compare it to the first is it DDR, DDR2 or DDR3. Both must be the same.
how do i do that?i took all 3 sticks and they all are the same company and have the same letters numbers everything is the same on the stickers
how do i do that?i took all 3 sticks and they all are the same company and have the same letters numbers everything is the same on the stickers oh yea i forgot i swapped them all i dont think the problem is with the ram sticks i think my computer doesnt want 3gb because i tried taking out the old one and putting the new in and it works with 1 old and 1 new so i think its the computer
oh yea i forgot i swapped them all i dont think the problem is with the ram sticks i think my computer doesnt want 3gb because i tried taking out the old one and putting the new in and it works with 1 old and 1 new so i think its the computer
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 19, 2010 at 04:28 PM
It could be.

The first slot is always for the most powerfull stick, the second slot for less powerfull and the last for the least powerfull.

You must also ensure the slots are cleaned.

If you have three slots, you should be able to have use of all of them.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
all three of the sticks are the same so it cant be that and there all clean because i switch them all out and no matter which one i take out it only works 2 gb of ram i dont know and i just want to fix this asap
Oct 20, 2010 at 04:44 AM
Hello again,

Okay so:

1. All sticks are of the same DDR
2. All sticks are new except for one
3. Your slots and sticks are cleaned
4. Sticks were inserted in the proper order

My conclusion is that one or two slots have not been connected.

My suggested solution is to have the motherboard examined by a in the flesh technician.

Regards