You may be wondering how to clear your computer RAM without rebooting your PC. In this short article, we will show you how.
Note: You should not manually try to clean your RAM whilst the computer is running. For example, do not try to take out a RAM cartridge whilst your computer is running and blow on it to remove debris. It is possible to do this, however you need to firstly turn off your PC. The following methods will allow you to clear your RAM without restarting your PC.
How to clear RAM on Windows via shortcut without restarting PC?
- Open "Notepad" or any text editor.
- Enter the following command:
FreeMem = Space(24000000)
- In this example, you will release 24MB of RAM.
- Save this file with the ".VBS" format.
- Put this file in the "WINDOWS" directory and create a desktop shortcut.
- Double-clicking on this shortcut will clear 24 MB of RAM.
How to clear RAM on Windows with Command Prompt?
- Type cmd in the search tab.
- Select Run as Administrator.
- When the Command Prompt appears type: ipconfig /FlushDNS
- Press Enter on the keyboard and it's done!
Cleaning RAM using an external utility without the need to reboot
You can also use a third-party RAM cleaning tool, such as Mem Reduct:
1. Download the Mem Reduct utility.
2. Install the utility on your PC.
3. Launch the utility and follow our instructions that you will find in this article.