How do you get msn on linux Acer netbook?

Closed
ilo - Dec 26, 2008 at 07:55 AM
 joggy - Feb 18, 2009 at 05:05 AM
Hello,

i am going to buy a Acer One A110AB Blue Wireless Netbook and its a linux operating system,

does anyone know how to get instant messenger on a linux laptop and how ?

thanx

Ilo :)
Related:

5 responses

You should not have a problem with connecting to MSN. All you need to do is download a generic messenger (the ones that let you connect to different networks at the same time). I personallly recoment Pidgin ( https://www.pidgin.im/ ) because you can connect to plenty of networks, I´m sure it's all you need.

Don't listen when someone tells you to open a new account (e.g. yahoo) Pidgin or some other program like it will let you connect to multiple instant messaging networks, like the following:

AIM,Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, ICQ, IRC, MSN, MySpace IM, QQ, SILC, SIMPLE, Sametime, XMPP, Yahoo!, Zephyr and I'm sure soon the will even let you connect to facebook!! and many other social networks.

OH, BY THE WAY, Most Linux versions have Pidgin or something similar already installed in the system, you should check that first, so you don´t have to go through the hassle of installing something you already have.

I know because I use Ubuntu Linux and Pidgin is already there. You're welcome.
Update: I just browsed Linpus linux website. It has Pidgin and aMSN already installed. I gave you the explanation for the first. The second one will let you connect to MSN only. I prefer pidgin though.
Franz > Franz
Jan 11, 2009 at 07:25 PM
Sorry, forgot the link:
http://www.linpus.com/products_3.php
(list of installed software)
When you're on your linux,

Open google up and type into it; amsn

It personally hasn't worked for me but I assume i've done something wrong ;D

There are instructions there though, so good luck. [:
Is easy just type in the terminal :

sudo yum install amsn and amsn weill be installed
your lucky i bought 3 for msn
took them back but got to go back mon when acer are open if no joy i will try to get money back
happy chrismas
hi matt,

well i have just bought a linux acer laptop and i cannot get windows msn, so i made a yahoo account and i can add people onto my yahoo messenger who have a windows account.

it is really good, if you have no luck getting your money back then you should definately try this link,

https://fr.yahoo.com/?p=us

it is a better way than going and buying an even more expensive laptop, because the yahoo one is exceptionally good.

happy new year for 2009 :)
701ls Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday January 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2009 1
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:29 AM
The Mac address of the AA1 is at the ath0 not eth0 as normal linux os should be.

activate the ez terminal and type ifconfig and you should get this line

[user@localhost home]$ ifconfig
ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:xx:xx:xx:YY

and the number is your address

(you can see it with connection manager also)

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
you have to update your computer until you get acer communication suite from the updates.

here are he steps to what you do:

1) you have to click on preferences/ settings on your acer desktop.
2) you then click on updates and let your acer update ( roughly for 1hour)
3) after your update is complete your messenger on your laptop should be working if not you have to update again then it would 100% work.