-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
-
Hello,

I have an Alienware M17x. It's a powerful laptop with an Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX9300 processor, 8GB DDR3 Primary Memory, 2 Nvidia 280m graphic cards in Hybrid SLI configuration. So rarely, new games don't give me a problem with lag. About a week ago, it starting causing some problems. The games randomly freeze for a few seconds, if i was walking forward, it wouldnt stop when i let go for a few seconds..sometimes it would be fine..when i steer a car, it sometimes doesnt stop when i stop, shooting a gun. I also noticed while im typing this very message, the letters freeze and its like im not typing but the cursor blinks like im not typing so its not only in games, but the whole OS. If the only way is to re-install vista then i will but if this can be avoided, it would be exceptionally helpful. Its never done this before and it's a really irritating problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

4 replies

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Hi,

You may be right, certainly not a virus.

If I were you, I would clean-up the registry and defragment the hard disk.

There are two very good tools I usually recommend which are free but they are for us 32 bit majority.

Please look at the download system.

Regards
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
CCleaner does only a partial job.

Defragmenting only put things where they belong, with the sister files. Sometimes computer take long because they get one file and they must look for the other at the other end of the disk.

See if this defragmentor will work on your system:

https://ccm.net/download/download-1454-defraggler

This registry cleaner may also work

https://ccm.net/download/download-13339-eusing-free-registry-cleaner

But begin with the cleaner.
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
what i heard was defragmenting re-arranges your files, so i have some music files on my desktop, pictures on the desktop, etc. Will these be moved to the default locations? Many thanks for the assistance and fast replys
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
I defragment every two weeks. Never had any problem. Defragmenting help to regain space and makes your applications run faster. It only puts them in order on the hard disk, you will not notice a visual difference in anything.

If you have never defragmented before, it's about time you did.
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
ok thats really good then. It'll help alot because i am low on space. I cleaned the registry but same problem, hope the defrag helps. And yeah, ivenever before, only disk cleanup. I hopethis works, thanks and happy new year
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
and, i had 116, 289 total fragments...is that alot?
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Hello,

Vista has no relation with game lags, so reinstalling it would serve no purpose. Do you have this lag with all games or just the one you are talking about?
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
its all games, its also in the operating system..typing this message now freezes the same way, then everything i type while its frozen comes types out when it unfreezes really fast...also adjusting volume for music jams for a few seconds..but playback is fine, and maybe im wrong but when i play a game with a controller connected, it doesnt have the same problem..but i havent tested this much...thank you for the response
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
and one more thing that might help....i have 2 user accounts, on the other account it works perfectly, no problem...so it won't be a hardware problem or general OS problem, must be a conflicting software, right?
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
A lot you say! It's abolutely gigantic! Your hard disk was a bunch of dried-up bread crumbs.

And how is your system performing now!
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
oh right...well i've left it defragging for a few hours, its got just over 91, 500 total fragments left. It'll be done by next year i guess. =) 3% done..97% left. My hard drive was full to the brim, 4.4GB free out of 451GB. Hope this works
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Yes I know! If you have never defragmented that the consequence. It take a very long time but you will see a world of difference in greater performance.

Insure the machine does not go to sleep from boredom, also avoid using it, it will speed the process.

Now is the time to read Tolstoy's War and Peace, watch a rerun of "Gone with the Wind", knit a pair of slippers, take a trek on top Mount Kenya.

I am anxious to get the results. If you used Defraggler, you will be able to see a report showing the files which were not defragmented, but that may not be until next year, 2011.

Carry-on laughing and if we do not contact before midnight, I wish you the very best.

Signing out till later.

Regards
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
Alright then, because i would love some more space. Thanks again, ill be sure to update you as soon as its done but its only done 10%. Thanks, and happy new years
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
Hi again, the Defrag isnt complete, i got about 42000 fragments left but the error has gone. It must have helped, thank you so much for this!
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
You are welcome

Sometimes you must run defrag several times to get them all. I suggest you do because you may get into trouble again very soon as your processor will keep running around like a chicken with its head cut off, looking for files. You can also try with your Vista defragmentor situated in your control panel
Registration date
Sunday October 3, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 18, 2013
Alright i'll do it a few more times, and do it probably every week. And i'll do that too, thanks. I've got another problem though, but its not related to this. Should i post it here or create a new topic? Thanks again
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Yes please create another topic. Thanks