Error msg

Closed
Solution Seeker - Apr 23, 2008 at 07:45 AM
Yoan Posts 11795 Registration date Monday January 31, 2005 Status Moderator Last seen December 10, 2023 - Apr 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM
Hello,

Hi, I did see on the forum a similar sounding problem.

My problem started ONLY after installing HP 915 All-in-one printer and its software on my laptop (Win XP Pro SP2).

Now suddenly everytime I start the browser (IE 6.0) and surf a website and then close it, the following message pops up immediately:

The instruction at "0x02381990" referenced memory at "0x02381990". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

What could be causing this ?

On my toolbar it does now display an icon of "HP Smart Web Printing Clip Book" and "HP Smart Web Printing Selection Mode".

Please help me out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Prakash

2 responses

Yoan Posts 11795 Registration date Monday January 31, 2005 Status Moderator Last seen December 10, 2023 8
Apr 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM
This error is maybe generated by this HP toolbar. We can try to remove it.
Download hijackthis, open it and click "do a system scan and save a log file". Paste the entire text file here.
Solution Seeker
Apr 23, 2008 at 10:00 PM
Hello,

Thanks for a reply.

Instead of downloading 'Hijacker' and making my m/c vulnerable to viruses, can I use my already installed and trusted anti-virus software 'QuickHeal' instead ? I still am not clear on this. Searching with an anti virus will yield result only if there is a virus in the system, wehreas the error msg is the outcome of installing HP printer on the system. So how will a scan help me in this ? If we want to remove HP Toolbar, then how can scanning help ?

Prakash
Solution Seeker
Apr 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Hello,

I just saw under 'add remove programs' that I already have 'Hijack This 1.99.1' installed though I cannot see it anywhere under 'All programs' nor under 'My Computer'.

Could this be creating some problem ?

Prakash
Yoan Posts 11795 Registration date Monday January 31, 2005 Status Moderator Last seen December 10, 2023 8
Apr 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM
Instead of downloading 'Hijacker' and making my m/c vulnerable to viruses, can I use my already installed and trusted anti-virus software 'QuickHeal' instead ?
No, HP toolbar is not a virus :) Your anti-virus will found nothing.

Hijack This 1.99.1 This is the software that we can can use to remove this toolbar. I'm not used to download the hijackthis installer, personnaly I prefer download only the executable, and I don't remember if shortcuts are created by the installer. Maybe you can try do found it in 'Program files'.

Before use Hijackthis, check in HP sofwares if you can disable the toolbar.