Conditional formatting in excel 2007 [Solved/Closed]

-
 Toast -
Hello,
I am trying to apply conditional formatting to a calculated cell (For ex A).

Criteria: If Cell A value = Cell B or " - " then dont apply any conditional formatting. Else, highlight the cell in Red.

I thikn it is simple but for some reason i am not able to apply conditional formatting with this rule/formula. Please help ASAP.

Thx

1 reply

Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
It would have helped had to posted your formula

you need to do some thing like this

=AND($A1<>$B1,OR($A1<>"",$B1<>""),AND($A1<>" - ",$B1<>" - "))
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

But, what if:

The conditional formatting in cell D7 is the Rule "=ISBLANK(G7)" and the Applies To range is $D$7:$D$60 (removing the absolute references does no good since when you click APPLY, Excel 2007 puts them right back). Either filling, Copy Pasting, or Format Painting produces the same result. In cells D8 through D60, the following rule appears, "=ISBLANK(G7)" . I've tried applying the same technique from the second and third rows in this "array" but, wherever I start is the relative start which all of the relatively coded rules, no matter how far down the array, are absolutely referencing.

This isn't the case in Excel 2003; has anyone found an answer for Excel 2007?
Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
Toast, even though you need explain your issue in detail. For reason that I am thick headed, I am not fully grasping it. Could you post a book and re-explain what is the issue
Thanks for your assistance, rizvisa1. I hope this makes more sense.

https://ccm.net/forum/office-software-25/new
OK that didn't work. Ignore the link above.

When the CF Rule in D7 references "G7", copying, filling, or Format Painting the same CF in cells D8:D60 produces the same reference to "G7" when I need the CF in D25 to reference G25. Editing the Applies To CF parameter doesn't change anything. And as you can see, I don't need to use "$" to make a relative reference absolute; everything just references the contents of the top row from which the CF is applied, in my case, downward, absolute reference or not.
FOUND IT!
Incremental Format Painting, that's the key. I thought I could tempt fate by doing the failed techniques listed above but try them in R1C1 format. Turns out all you have to do is Format Paint an array one proximal cell at time, in or out of R1C1. Set up cell D7's CF, select cell D7, and FP to D8. Select cell D8, FP to D9; select D9, [ ] and finally, select cell D59, FP to D60.