Excel help needed

Closed
lyjrc - Jan 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM
 Resolutionist - Jan 8, 2009 at 01:44 PM
Hello,

I have a one page spread sheet with 7700 lines and there are six lines that repeat themselves about 300 times. I was wondering if there is a function or something that i can use to get rid of just those repeating lines. I cannot include getting rid of all the repeating lines because some of them are supposed to repeat. Thanks.
Related:

1 response

Resolutionist
Jan 8, 2009 at 01:29 PM
1) Insert a column by which you will create an index to sort by (just numbering each row with a unique id, 1, 2, 3, etc)
2) Sort by the column that contains the offending repeaters
3) Insert one more column
4) Use an if statement as follows: =if(a1=a2,"*","") in the first cel. Copy through all cells in that column.
Assuming cell a1 is the first cell in the column that contains the offending repeaters, otherwise change it to the correct cell. This flags all repeating columns with an asterisk, leaving the first cell as an original copy, unflagged.
5) Use the filter tool in the column that contains the above formula. Press the chevron to show the astersk and select it.
6) Delete all rows which are exposed, or atleast the rows of the offending repeaters.

Remove the filter.

Delete the column containing the folrmula.

Restore original sort by sorting by the column created in step 1

Delete the column containing the index created in step 1.

Done.

I usually do this process in a separate worksheet that I copied the original worksheet from, just in case human error prevails!
Resolutionist
Jan 8, 2009 at 01:44 PM
Also, remeber that the last cell in the column will be flagged with * as it is different from the cell below it. Don't delete the last row!! You want to keep that one.