Trying to install operating system.

Closed
cowboy - Mar 31, 2011 at 09:47 PM
 cowboy - Apr 1, 2011 at 09:38 AM
Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop that I purchased on Ebay. It needed the operating system reinstalled. It had Windows XP. I wiped the hard drive and started a fresh install of XP Home. It will get all the way to Installing Devices (Setup will complete in 34 minutes) then the screen goes totally black. The laptop is still on but nothing I do brings the screen back. The only thing I can do is turn it off then turn it back on and it restarts the installation of the operating system. Then when it gets to the exact same point again, the screen goes black again. I'm at my wit's end. Can anyone please help me? I even tried removing the power cord, then removing the battery and holding the power button for about a minute. Then replacing the battery and power cord and trying it again. Same thing still happens. HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.
Related:

1 response

jamietomo Posts 15 Registration date Wednesday March 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2011
Apr 1, 2011 at 07:32 AM
How long have you left the laptop on with a black screen, the screen normally goes black for a few seconds whilst it installs graphics drivers.
Once it goes to the black screen, it stays like that. I've waited as long as an hour for the screen to come back up but it doesn't.