How can I use both memory slots?

Solved/Closed
tim - Apr 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM
 tim - Apr 3, 2011 at 07:13 AM
Hello,
my pc has two memory slots each holding a 512 MB DDR. however i dont seem to get the use of both cards, and when i look at my-computer-properties it reports 480 MB memory.

prompted by another user's enquiry on this website i used cpuz, and this tells me that the memory is 512 MB DDR and *single* channel. what can i do to use both cards? or even if, at the worst, i went and bought a 1gig card, would there be some system limit preventing me from using that capacity anyway?

my machine is a viglen about 5 years old. cpuz tells me that the motherboard is CLEVO model L29xT, and CPU is intel pentium 4630 with speed 3GHz.

id be grateful for a simple practical solution. i know very little about this sort of stuff. i just need my machine to go a bit faster for everyday applications, - it hasnt got to be the best thing on earth.

yours askingly
tim
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 2, 2011 at 03:46 PM
I would remove one memory board and reboot. If the PC still works and reports 480-512MB, I would then swap the memory board. If the PC fails to boot then you have identified a defective board. If the PC still works then try both boards again. Sometimes the boards are not fully inserted and/or do not make full contact.

Check to see if the two boards are identical (speed and manufacturer) some Motherboards/BIOS's can't use missmatched memory.

Replacing all the memory using a 1 GB board MIGHT work. I would use Google to find a vendor with a program that can identify which memory board will sork with your PC. You might try a few to get an idea of any problems with memory.

Good Luck
wow such a quick reply! thanks. in fact i've already tried the situation with two different pairs of memory boards, both times with the same result: only the capacity of one board. but i'll follow your suggestion, as it might hightlight a contact problem or one of the other ideas you suggest. tim!
problem solved. thanks so much. i wasnt optimistic, but i followed your suggestions logically and methodically, using the 4 cards and 2 slots that i had. i fact it was just a contact problem, but i wouldntve known that: the cards and slots now work ok. my-computer-properties now reports 992MB instead of 480MB ram, and the machine is noticeable faster. good enough for me. thanks again. tim!