Mounted pc does not respond like before

Closed
homer_simpson Posts 15 Registration date Tuesday December 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 18, 2009 - Jan 13, 2009 at 03:55 AM
bizzounours Posts 54 Registration date Tuesday December 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 21, 2009 - Jan 13, 2009 at 06:05 AM
Hi,
I have a computer running on xp. I have it for quite a long time. A couple of days before, I decided to give a clean inside the casing since it was full of dust. So, I removed everything on the board, including the fan and heatsink.
When I mounted the computer and switched it on, it would be on for only some minutes and then switch off again. I can't understand why it is behaving so.

Please somebody help me.
Related:

1 response

bizzounours Posts 54 Registration date Tuesday December 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 21, 2009 17
Jan 13, 2009 at 06:05 AM
Hello,
It may be that you have not properly set the heatsink. The heatsink and the processor should be very closely linked together. This is happening because of bad heat conductance leading to an overheating of the processor causing your computer to shut down to protect itself. Try to give a close look to the heatsink and place it correctly on the processor. You will find a grey paste on the processor, don't wipe it off as it provides good contact with the heatsink.